Kannur diocese covers the territory of Kannur and Kasargode districts of Kerala which comprises an area of 4,988 square kilometers.
The total population of the diocesan territory is 2,874,064 as per the 2016 census. Kannur diocese has been a multi-ethnic and multi religious region.
Malayalam and English are the languages used in the diocesan territory.
The diocese of Calicut had been spread out to an area of 13,051 square kilometers in two revenue districts of Kerala namely Kannur and Kasargode. Bishop Maxwell Noronha in consultation with the faithful and clergy requested the Holy See to establish the new diocese of Kannur.
Pope John Paul II created the diocese of Kannur by bifurcating Calicut diocese. In 1999, Dr. Varghese Chakkalakal was elected bishop of Kannur and was consecrated on Feb. 7, 1999.
The erection of the diocese was a historical event for Kannur which has 500 years of Christian tradition. Christian communities existed in South Kerala from the beginning of Christianity but in North Kerala, known as Malabar, evangelization started in 16th century with the advent of European missionaries. Several Portuguese colonies were formed in the 16th century along the coastal belt of the Arabian Sea. A church was built by Dominge Rodrigues in Tellicherry. When the British East India Company established the Tellicherry Fort in 1708, the Jesuit Fathers renovated this church.
In 1736 Father Dominic OCD established a church in Mahe to take care of the spiritual needs of the French Catholics settled here. In 1878 when the South Canara and Malabar region handed over to the Jesuits of the Venice Province, the evangelization of this region took a new turn. In 1923 some parts of Malabar which belonged to the diocese of Mangalore were bifurcated and the new diocese of Calicut was formed. There were about 6,000 Catholics and 16 priests in Calicut, Tellicherry, Kannur, Vythiri and Mananthavady. The diocese of Calicut made giant strides under the leadership of the prelates Paul Perini, Leo Proserpio, Aldo Maria Ptroni and Maxwell Noronha.
Under the patronage of bishop Leo Proserpio, Father Peter Caironi SJ started his mission among the outcaste in Kannur. This was known as Chirakal Mission. Fathers John Sequeira, Joseph Taffrel SJ, James Monthanari SJ, Aloysius Del Zotto SJ, Michael Vendramin SJ and Father Linus Zucol SJ had strived hard to evangelize this mission region. With the selfless service of the missioners, this region has developed into a Catholic stronghold. This mission was under the Calicut diocese until the diocese of Kannur was formed.
The territory is well connected with roads and rails. Thalassery railway station is one of the major railway stations in Kerala. The nearest airport is at Kozhikode, about 93 kilometers away from the city.
The Kannur and Kasargod districts have pleasant climate. South-western monsoons lash the region from June to September and the north-eastern monsoon extends from October to November. The winter season is from December to February. The temperature reaches the maximum in May. The average annual rainfall is 3,438 mm.
The economy of Kannur diocese is mainly based on agriculture. Rubber, coconut and pepper are the main cash. Though this region is industrially backward, handloom/textile is a major industry.
The level of telecommunications infrastructure is average. Almost everyone has a mobile phone in town areas. Most of the homes have television, telephone and internet. In rural areas access to modern communication is very limited. There are no television broadcasting stations but there are a number of private FM stations and government run AM and FM stations in the diocesan territory.
On every first Friday of the month thousands of Catholics flock to Holy Cross Church of Cherpunkal in Kerala, India to revere Infant Jesus and St. Thomas, the founder of the church. The church stands on the southern bank of Meenachil River. This fabled church, also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross)Church, belongs to Catholic Diocese of Palai of the Eastern-rite Syro-Malabar Church.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.