On May 21, 1990, the Diocese of Rajshahi was canonically erected, incorporating the southern portion of the greater Diocese of Dinajpur.
The total population was 19,072,080 in 2017. In addition to Bangla, different tribal languages such as Santali, Oraon (Kuruk and Sadri), Mahali and Paharia are also spoken by indigenous people in the diocesan territory.
The total population of 2017 was 19,072,080. In addition to the wide use of Bangla, different tribal languages such as Santali, Oraon (Kuruk and Sadri), Mahali and Paharia are also spoken by indigenous people in the diocesan territory.
The evangelisation began there at the request of Gabriel Topno, a Munda tribal Christian and a leper, who migrated from Chota Nagpur in the Indian village of Begunbari, two miles south of the present Beneedwar parish.
Father Francesco Rocca, a missionary of the Pontifical Institute for Foreign Missions in Milan (PIME), came from Pakuria in Meherpur district to the south of the mighty Ganges on January 29, 1902, to provide pastoral assistance to Topno and his family. He subsequently continued preaching the Gospel in the area.
Within eight years of his arrival, there were already large Christian communities among the Mundas in Begunbari, Mahalis in Chokjodu and Santals in Beneedwar. Crossing the Ganges, the Mal-Paharias came to build the Iswardi-Amnura Railway Tracks. The Christian missionaries also crossed the river and walked along the railway tracks, preaching the Good News. The first Mal-Paharias of Andharkota were baptized on February 21, 1904, by Father S. Taveggia, PIME.
From a humble beginning in Begunbari and Andharkota, Catholic faith gradually spread among the Adibasis throughout the Diocese of Rajshahi. In 1925, many Bengali Christians from Bhawal areas of the Archdiocese of Dhaka started migrating to the greater districts of Pabna and Rajshahi due to economic reasons.
Three parishes were gradually established for their pastoral care, in Bonpara (1940), Mothurapur (1947) and Mariabad/Borni (1949). Mothurapur belonged to the Archdiocese of Dhaka until 1976, when it was transferred to the Diocese of Dinajpur. With the growth and extension of the Church in northern Bengal, there arose a need to create a new diocese which comprised eight southern districts of the Diocese of Dinajpur.
Bishop Theotonius Gomes C.S.C., the then Bishop of Dinajpur, initiated the process of erection of the Diocese of Rajshahi. It was announced on May 21, 1990, and the Bishop Patrick D'Rozario C.S.C. was appointed the first bishop of the new diocese. After five years of strenuous pastoral and organisational works of the new diocese, Msgr. D'Rozario was transferred to the seaport Diocese of Chittagong, and he became its second native bishop on February 3, 1995. Father Julian Rozario guided the diocese as the administrator of the Sede Vacante of Rajshahi Diocese until Father Paulinus Costa, the then vicar general of Dhaka, was named, consecrated and took possession of the diocese on April 26, 1996.
There is no separate political structure in the diocesan territory. There are some Parliament seats for Rajshahi, and the citizens elect their representatives to those seats. No serious disruption of democracy is seen in the region. Minorities can vote and take part in politics without any pressure. The people of Rajshahi city have the opportunity to elect their mayor for the Rajshahi city corporation.
Rajshahi is connected to all parts of the country by land, and to some extent by air. Buses, trains and private vehicles are the main modes of transport. Rajshahi city can be reached by domestic airplanes. Roads and highways connect the city to towns and to rural areas of the diocese.
The territory is located between 88.15 and 89.80 degrees longitude (East) and between 23.75 and 25.25 latitude (North).
The diocese covers a total land area of 18,063 sq. km. It comprises nine civil districts. The Padma, which is known as the Ganges in West Bengal, enters into the country through the diocesan territory.
The per capita income of the diocesan territory is equivalent to $463. The main agricultural products of the area are rice and mango. The varieties of mangoes produced in the Rajshahi territory are famous for their unique taste.
There are many cell phone service providers, in addition to government and private land phone service providers. Cell phones are popularly in use.
The overall literacy rate of the diocesan territory is 47 percent (as per 2001 Census).
Gonsalo's martyrdom at Nagasaki with the other Christian missionaries is regarded as the most tragic and historic event for Catholicism in Japan
Calungsod and his companion Father Vitores baptized infants, children and adults, defying the risk of persecution and murder
Despite being an ordinary layman, Ruiz remained defiant while facing torture by the Japanese and died a brave martyr
He was the first Korean-born Catholic priest and is now the patron saint of Korea
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
Asian Catholics who cannot visit famous Our Lady of Lourdes shrine in France can revere miraculous Mother Mary at Velankanni shrine in India. The Basilica of Our Lady of Good Health is popularly known as “the Lourdes of the East” and holds the largest Catholic Church in Asia.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
The shrine holds a three-meter-tall, white-stone carved statue Virgin Mary on the Tao Pao Mountain in the Diocese of Phan Thiet in southern Vietnam, about 1,600 kilometers from the national capital Hanoi.
The Immaculate Conception Cathedral in Urakami of Nagasaki is a witness of persecution of Christians from 17th to 19th centuries and deadly atomic bombing during the Second World War. This European-style, red-brick church continues to preserve some relics that survived the atomic bombing. Urakami cathedral, also known as St. Mary’s Cathedral, was almost destroyed when the atomic bomb was dropped on Aug. 9, 1945. The church stood about 500 meters from the hypocenter of atomic explosion. The devastation shattered and charred stone-made statues of saints, which were later preserved as relics along with the surviving head of Virgin Mary statue and one of the church’s original bells.
Our Lady of Akita Catholic Church is Yuzawadai is among the most famous churches in Japan. The church shot into global fame thanks to a wooden statue of Blessed Virgin Mary that wept 101 times and Marian apparitions to Japanese nun Sister Agnes Katsuko Sasagawa that miraculously healed her hearing impairment. Japanese wooden sculptor Saburo Wakasa from Akita city carved the now-famous miraculous statue of Virgin Mary in 1963.
The Church of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception in Seria is a small church on the western Belait district of Brunei, but it shot into fame thanks to the nation’s most famous Catholic – late Cardinal Cornelius Sim. It is also the second of three churches in Brunei dedicated to Virgin Mary. In fact, Mary has a prominent place not only in Christianity, but also in Islam, the dominant faith in Brunei. Holy Quran mentions Mary seventy times and reveres her as the greatest woman to have ever lived.