The diocese covers an area of 14,100 square kilometers, covering the cities of Jingzhou, Tianmen, Xiantao, Honghu, Qianjiang, counties of Gongan, Jianli, Jiangling and counties of Songzi, Shishou and Honghu.
The whole area has a population of 6.4 million.
Mandarin and local dialect are in use in the diocesan area.
Jingzhou diocese is the formerly Apostolic Prefecture of Shashi, which was split from Yichang diocese in 1936.
The Apostolic Prefecture of Shashi or Shasi / Shasien(sis) (Latin adjective) was established on 7 July 1936, on territory split off from the then Apostolic Vicariate of Yichang (now a diocese), bordering on that, on the dioceses Hanyang and Puqi and on the Apostolic prefecture of Lixian.
The apostolic prefecture was entrusted to the management of the Order of Franciscan Minor. Franciscan Father Julius Dillon became the first prefect apostolic of Shasi, receiving the title of monsignor. The following year, the Japanese and Chinese were engaged in a fierce war, and Father Julius' life was labeled as "heroic" throughout those years. Refugees poured into Shasi and he consoled, protected and fed them.
In 1944, he arrived in New York City in a daze and suffering malnutrition. After the war, Father Julius returned to China and again worked to build up the mission from 1945 through 1949. In 1949, Father Julius was imprisoned by the communists, subjected to a public trial and expelled in 1951.
Father Zheng Deqing from Shandong became the administrator in the 1950s. When Church activity revived in Hubei in the 1980s, Father Zhou Leshi became the administrator of Shashi diocese until he died in 2001. The current administrator is Father Chen Yongfa.
In 1999, the provincial Church of Hubei readjusted the dioceses' territories. The apostolic prefecture of Shashi was renamed as Jingzhou diocese. After the readjustment, the cities of Tianmen, Xiantao, Qianjiang, Honghu and Jingzhou were combined to the now Jingzhou diocese. The Catholic population also increased from 4,000 to 14,000.
Jingzhou is a transportation hub since ancient time. It has very convenient sea, land and air traffics. Shashi Port is one of the four earliest inland ports being open to outside world. It can accommodate cargo ships of 5,000 ton.
The airport in Shashi has 15 regular chartered flight routes to Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Changsha and Shenzhen. The Jingsha railway reaches different parts of China. The National Expressways No. 207 and 318 also pass the city.
Jingzhou belongs to the subtropical monsoon humid climate with four distinct seasons. It has abundant sunlight and rainfall as well as long frost-free period of more than 250 days. Annual sunshine ranges between 1,823 and 1,978 hours. Average annual temperature is around 16.4 degree Celsius. Annual precipitation is about 1,100 ~ 1,300mm.
Agricultural production in the area accounts for 13 percent of Hubei province's total. Foodstuffs, cotton, edible oils and seafood all top the rest of Hubei in terms of total production.
Jingzhou is located in the central and southern part of Hubei province on the central part of the plain of Hanjiang. The Yangtze River flows through the city from west to east. Jingzhou city is located at the longitude 111-114 degree and latitude 29-31 degree.
The area has the richest education resources in the province, with nine higher educational institutions, with around 100,000 undergraduates.
Jingzhou is an ancient city with a very long history and brilliant culture. It is the cradle of the Empire of Chu, which is also called Jing in ancient times. A legend says that when Yu the Great (2200-2100 BC) planned nine districts in the territory of China, Jingzhou was one of them.
A lot of famous people came from this area. Qu Yuan, a patriotic poet and an official of Chu (340-278 BC), held a post in Jingzhou for more than 20 years during the Warring States Period. Other famous people include the "Tea Sage" Lu Yu in the Tang Dynasty, Zhang Juzheng, who was regarded as the "most excellent prime minister in China" in the Ming Dynasty and contemporary writer Cao Yu.
Jingzhou has always been an area of strategic military importance. During the Three Kingdoms period (220-280 AD), it was a strategic point where the states of Wei, Shu, and Wu competed. That period of time has engendered lots of wonderful sayings like "Liu Bei borrowed Jingzhou but never gave it back," and "Guan Yu lost Jingzhou due to negligence." The historic sites include Cao Cao Bay and Wulin Village in Honghu, Zilong Hillock and Hua Rong Dao in Jianli, Xiulin Town and Liulang Pu in Shishou, Madame Sun City in Gong'an etc.
Jingzhou also has a well-preserved ancient city wall dating around 1646 during the Qing Dynasty. It was considered to be about the biggest and best preserved ancient city wall in southern and central China. Other historic spots include Taoist's Kaiyuan Temple and Xuanmiao Temple built in the Tang Dynasty, Taihui Temple built in the Ming Dynasty, and Wen Temple, Guan Temple and Tienu Temple built in the Qing Dynasty. Mingxian Tomb is the graves of the parents of the Emperor Jiajing. These are the only Ming Dynasty royal tombs in the central and southern part of China.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.