In a land area of 16,540 square kilometers, the diocesan territory covers the area of Baoji city and six counties in western Shaanxi province, central China. Fengxiang with its prominent cathedral is the bishop's see and a county of Baoji. The whole area has a population of 2,980,600 as of 2007.
People in Shaanxi province mainly include ethnic groups of Han, Hui, Mongolian and Manchu.
Mandarin and local dialect
What is now the Diocese of Fengxiang was established as Apostolic Prefecture of Fengxiangfu from the Apostolic Vicariate of Xi'anfu on November 15, 1932. On June 9, 1942 it was promoted as Apostolic Vicariate of Fengxiangfu. The Church developed vigorously since it became Diocese of Fengxiang in 1946, when the Vatican established the Church hierarchy in China.
According to the Pontifical Yearbook, the diocese had in 1950 a number of 8,504 Catholics representing 0.85 percent of the population of 1,000 000. There was a total of 66 priests (58 diocesan, 8 religious) and 8 female Religious serving 16 parishes.
Since then, the local Church has suffered greatly from political turmoil until the Cultural Revolution ended in 1976. Bishop Anthony Zhou and his priests were arrested and imprisoned because of faith, while all churches were demolished and church properties were robbed.
Religious activities were gradually revived since 1980. Only six elderly priests survived the hardships and they returned to serve the diocese. Bishop Luke Li succeeded Bishop Zhou, who died in 1983, and made his efforts to recruit seminarians, build new churches and develop pastoral work. He has ordained more than 40 priests, who now serve 20,000 Catholics in the diocese.
Most trains from Beijing, Shanghai and Xi'an pass through Baoji on their way to Gansu, Sichuan, Xinjiang and Tibet (Lhasa).
The area has a continental monsoonal climate with distinctive seasons. It has cold winters but mild summers, with a mean annual temperature of 6 degrees Celsius to 14 degrees Celsius. The greater part of Shaanxi province has a mean annual precipitation of 400-650 mm, increasing gradually from northwest to southeast.
Agriculture, forestry, animal husbandry and fishery are widely done by the people. There are factories for machinery, chemicals, cement and food processing. Mining and processing of mineral resources like limestone, fire-resistant stone and calcite are also to be found in the diocesan territory.
Fengxiang diocese neighbors Hanzhong diocese to the north, Zhouzhi diocese to the west, Sanyuan diocese to the southwest. All dioceses locate in Shaanxi. Its eastern edge borders on Pingliang and Tianshui dioceses in Gansu province.
Shaanxi province is bounded by the North China Plain in the east and the middle Yellow River in the west. Mountains cover 67.5 percent of Shanxi Province, and its highlands, hills and basins stand at about 1,000 meters or more above sea level, sloping from northeast to southwest.
The craft of making painted clay-figurines of Fengxiang has a recorded history of more than 3,000 years.
Passing through Baoji is the ancient North Silk Road, the northernmost route of about 2,600 kilometres in length, which connected the ancient Chinese capital of Xian to the West over the Wushao Ling Pass to Wuwei and emerging in Kashgar before linking to ancient Parthia.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.