Readings of the Day: Thursday of the Twenty-fourth Week in Ordinary Time
Thursday, 17 September 2020
Reading of the Day
1 Corinthians 15:1-11
- 1 Now I would remind you, brethren, in what terms I preached to you the gospel, which you received, in which you stand,
- 2 by which you are saved, if you hold it fast -- unless you believed in vain.
- 3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the scriptures,
- 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the scriptures,
- 5 and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve.
- 6 Then he appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep.
- 7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles.
- 8 Last of all, as to one untimely born, he appeared also to me.
- 9 For I am the least of the apostles, unfit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.
- 10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God which is with me.
- 11 Whether then it was I or they, so we preach and so you believed.
Psalms 118:1-2, 16-17, 28
Response: Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good.
- 1 O give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his steadfast love endures for ever!
- 2 Let Israel say, "His steadfast love endures for ever." R
- 16 the right hand of the LORD is exalted, the right hand of the LORD does valiantly!"
- 17 I shall not die, but I shall live, and recount the deeds of the LORD. R
- 28 Thou art my God, and I will give thanks to thee; thou art my God, I will extol thee. R
Gospel for the Day
- 36 One of the Pharisees asked him to eat with him, and he went into the Pharisee's house, and took his place at table.
- 37 And behold, a woman of the city, who was a sinner, when she learned that he was at table in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster flask of ointment,
- 38 and standing behind him at his feet, weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.
- 39 Now when the Pharisee who had invited him saw it, he said to himself, "If this man were a prophet, he would have known who and what sort of woman this is who is touching him, for she is a sinner."
- 40 And Jesus answering said to him, "Simon, I have something to say to you." And he answered, "What is it, Teacher?"
- 41 "A certain creditor had two debtors; one owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty.
- 42 When they could not pay, he forgave them both. Now which of them will love him more?"
- 43 Simon answered, "The one, I suppose, to whom he forgave more." And he said to him, "You have judged rightly."
- 44 Then turning toward the woman he said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I entered your house, you gave me no water for my feet, but she has wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair.
- 45 You gave me no kiss, but from the time I came in she has not ceased to kiss my feet.
- 46 You did not anoint my head with oil, but she has anointed my feet with ointment.
- 47 Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much; but he who is forgiven little, loves little."
- 48 And he said to her, "Your sins are forgiven."
- 49 Then those who were at table with him began to say among themselves, "Who is this, who even forgives sins?"
- 50 And he said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."
help UCA News
Your support will help us grow the Catholic Church's media mission in Asia. We are happy to gift you a complementary copy of
The pontificate of Francis has been prophetic. Get this 184-page PDF/e-Book consisting of 14 narrative essays, summarizing the key features of Francis' papacy.
Sunday Gospel reflection with Father William Grimm
24 September 2021
We companions of Jesus have an essential vocation. All men and women are called to live in the dignity of children of God.
Mass on Demand - Thursday 17 September 2020
© Copyright 2021, Union of Catholic Asian News Limited. All rights reserved