UCA News

Vatican City

Vatican monsignor tests positive for Covid-19

Pope Francis is unlikely to have had contact with the infected person and continues to meet people

Cindy Wooden, Catholic News Service

Cindy Wooden, Catholic News Service

Updated: March 27, 2020 04:59 AM GMT
Support Asia's largest network of Catholic journalists and editors
Support Asia's largest network of Catholic journalists and editors
Vatican monsignor tests positive for Covid-19

Swiss Guards stand at an entrance to the Vatican on March 26 during the lockdown following the coronavirus pandemic. Pope Francis is reported to have tested negative after a person in his residence was said to have contracted Covid-19. (Photo: AFP)

Share this article :
A 58-year-old Italian monsignor, who works in the Vatican Secretariat of State and lives in the Domus Sanctae Marthae guesthouse where Pope Francis lives, has tested positive for Covid-19 and has been hospitalized, an Italian newspaper has reported.

Shortly after the article was published on the website of Il Messaggero, the news was confirmed by the Vatican correspondent for America magazine, citing Vatican sources.

The articles identified the official as Msgr. Gianluca Pezzoli, a priest of the Diocese of Mantova and head of the Italian section of the Vatican Secretariat of State.

America magazine said he lives permanently in the Vatican guesthouse where Pope Francis lives, as do another dozen priests working in various Vatican offices.

The magazine also reported that people who had been in close contact with Msgr. Pezzoli have been tested for the virus. "It is presumed that they are in isolation, though the Vatican has not confirmed this," the magazine said.

The Vatican press office had said that as of March 24 four people in the Vatican had tested positive for the coronavirus. The first, confirmed by the Vatican on March 6, was a priest from Bergamo who had a routine pre-employment exam at the Vatican health clinic. After he was discovered with symptoms, the clinic was closed temporarily for special cleaning, and the five people the priest came into contact with were put under preventive quarantine.

There were reports at the same time that the offices of the Secretariat of State were closed temporarily for a thorough cleaning.

The Vatican did not say when the next three people tested positive, but it said one worked in the Vatican warehouse and two worked at the Vatican Museums.

All four, the Vatican said, were placed in precautionary isolation before their test results came back. "The isolation has already lasted more than 14 days; currently they are receiving care in Italian hospitals or in their own homes."

Both America magazine and Il Messaggero said Pope Francis is unlikely to have had contact with Msgr. Pezzoli. They said the pope has been eating his meals in his room rather than the dining room since coming down with a bad cold after Ash Wednesday on Feb. 26.

While the Vatican has canceled all group meetings, Pope Francis continues to meet with individuals each day. The Vatican's daily bulletin of March 26 said the pope met separately with Archbishop Giacomo Morandi, secretary of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith; Cardinal Robert Sarah, prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Sacraments; Mario Cayota Zappettini, who is ending his service as Uruguay's ambassador to the Holy See; and Marco Impagliazzo, president of the Community of Sant'Egidio.

News reports said the pope and his guests use hand sanitizer before and after the meetings.

Support UCA News...

As 2020 unfolds, we are asking readers like you to help us keep Union of Catholic Asian News (UCA News) free so it can be accessed from anywhere in the world at no cost.

That has been our policy for years and was made possible by donations from European Catholic funding agencies. However, like the Church in Europe, these agencies are in decline and the immediate and urgent claims on their funds for humanitarian emergencies in Africa and parts of Asia mean there is much less to distribute than there was even a decade ago.

Forty years ago, when UCA News was founded, Asia was a very different place - many poor and underdeveloped countries with large populations to feed, political instability and economies too often poised on the edge of collapse. Today, Asia is the economic engine room of the world and funding agencies quite rightly look to UCA News to do more to fund itself.

UCA News has a unique product developed from a view of the world and the Church through informed Catholic eyes. Our journalistic standards are as high as any in the quality press; our focus is particularly on a fast-growing part of the world - Asia - where, in some countries the Church is growing faster than pastoral resources can respond to - South Korea, Vietnam and India to name just three.

And UCA News has the advantage of having in its ranks local reporters that cover 22 countries and experienced native English-speaking editors to render stories that are informative, informed and perceptive.

We report from the ground where other news services simply can't or won't go. We report the stories of local people and their experiences in a way that Western news outlets simply don't have the resources to reach. And we report on the emerging life of new Churches in old lands where being a Catholic can at times be very dangerous.

With dwindling support from funding partners in Europe and the USA, we need to call on the support of those who benefit from our work.

Click here to find out the ways you can support UCA News. You can make a difference for as little as US$5...
UCAN Donate
YOUR DAILY
NEWSLETTER
Thank you. You are now signed up to our Daily Full Bulletin newsletter
 
Support UCA News

William J. Grimm, MM

Publisher

Union of Catholic Asian News

"As Pope Francis has said, we live not so much in an era of change as in a change of era. That is especially true in Asia and for the churches of Asia. UCA News is the dedicated, Asia-wide news and information service for the Church in Asia and we need your help to maintain the service."