India’s Supreme Court has bailed one of seven Christians jailed for murdering a Hindu guru in Kandhamal district in eastern India in a case which triggered anti-Christian riots
10 years ago. The top court bailed out Gornath Chalenseth from Phulbani jail in Odisha state on May 9. Considering that the accused “had already undergone 10 years of his sentence and taking an overall view of the matter,” the Supreme Court said that Chalenseth should be released on bail. The top court also set aside a December order of the Odisha state high court that denied them bail. A district court convicted the seven for the murder of Hindu spiritual leader Laxmanananda Saraswati and four of his associates who were shot dead on Aug. 23, 2008.
The seven men’s appeal against the conviction has been pending in Odisha High Court for more than five years. The Indian judicial system allows to move for bail while an appeal is pending. However, the state court also denied them bail twice, the latest being in last December, forcing them to move Supreme Court. Rights activists say the state court’s denial has been politically influenced. Christian leaders lauded the Supreme Court bail decision as a step forward in releasing all the Christians, who they say were framed over a murder case connected with a 2008 riot
engineered by Hindu groups in Kandhamal. The bail application was filed by a legal team led by Christian advocacy forum Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF), which is based in New Delhi. “It is a huge victory for these hapless men who don’t have the resources or knowledge to fight for their freedom in India’s complicated judicial system,” said Father Dibakar Parichha, a Catholic priest and lawyer who has been assisting lawyers for the jailed men. Father Parichha expressed hope that the other six men would likewise be released. “We are working toward this happening,” he said. A.C. Michael, a Christian leader and ADF official, said the Supreme Court judge observed that the state High Court “does not seem to be taking up the appeal anytime soon.” Michael, a former member of the Delhi Minorities Commission, said “although it is quite late, justice is still prevailing.” Travesty of justice
Anto Akkara, a journalist-turned-activist who has been campaigning for the release of the men, told ucanews.com that their arrest and conviction was a “subversion of the justice system” in the country. The seven men — six of whom are illiterate — were arrested and jailed several months after Saraswati and his four associates were killed. They were convicted in the district court in 2013 and handed life in prison. “The murder was touted as a Christian conspiracy and the innocent villagers were arrested,” Anto said. Hindu extremists blamed Christians for the murders even though Maoists at that time claimed responsibility for the deaths. Anti-Christian violence
began three days after Saraswati’s murder and lasted for more than a month. Nearly 100 Christians were killed, and some 300 churches and 6,000 Christian houses were vandalized or put to the torch, rendering 56,000 homeless. Father Parichha said several people accused of rioting and murder were acquitted due to “sloppy police investigations” and “a lack of evidence and witnesses.” “Their appeals against the conviction have been dragging on in the Odisha High Court for over five years,” he said. The six men still in jail are Bhaskar Sunamajhi, Bijay Sanseth, Buddhadev Nayak, Durjo Sunamajhi, Munda Badamajhi and Sanatan Badamajhi. Father Kulakanta Dandasena from Kandhamal, who has regularly visited the men and their families, told ucanews.com that “these people have been suffering for years for no fault of theirs.” “We can see the pain they go through by just being with them,” he said.
Support UCA News...
As 2020 unfolds, we are asking readers like you to help us keep Union of Catholic Asian News (UCA News) free so it can be accessed from anywhere in the world at no cost.
That has been our policy for years and was made possible by donations from European Catholic funding agencies. However, like the Church in Europe, these agencies are in decline and the immediate and urgent claims on their funds for humanitarian emergencies in Africa and parts of Asia mean there is much less to distribute than there was even a decade ago.
Forty years ago, when UCA News was founded, Asia was a very different place - many poor and underdeveloped countries with large populations to feed, political instability and economies too often poised on the edge of collapse. Today, Asia is the economic engine room of the world and funding agencies quite rightly look to UCA News to do more to fund itself.
UCA News has a unique product developed from a view of the world and the Church through informed Catholic eyes. Our journalistic standards are as high as any in the quality press; our focus is particularly on a fast-growing part of the world - Asia - where, in some countries the Church is growing faster than pastoral resources can respond to - South Korea, Vietnam and India to name just three.
And UCA News has the advantage of having in its ranks local reporters that cover 22 countries and experienced native English-speaking editors to render stories that are informative, informed and perceptive.
We report from the ground where other news services simply can't or won't go. We report the stories of local people and their experiences in a way that Western news outlets simply don't have the resources to reach. And we report on the emerging life of new Churches in old lands where being a Catholic can at times be very dangerous.
With dwindling support from funding partners in Europe and the USA, we need to call on the support of those who benefit from our work.
Click here to find out the ways you can support UCA News. You can make a difference for as little as US$5...