ucanews.com reporter, Manila
Updated: April 24, 2015 02:12 PM GMT
Young Muslim women join a peace rally in Cotabato City (Photo by Jimmy Domingo)
Some 20,000 people held a pro-peace rally in the southern Philippine city of Cotabato on Thursday to call for the immediate passage of legislation that will formalize the peace process in Mindanao and end almost four decades of Moro rebellion.
The Philippine Congress last week suspended discussion of the proposed legislation after at least 67 people, 44 of whom were police commandos, died in a bungled raid against suspected terrorists in the town of Mamasapano on January 25.
"The law is our only hope for genuine and lasting peace not only in Mindanao but in the country," said Professor Raby Angkal, spokesman of the Mindanao Alliance for Peace.
"Please pass the [Bangsamoro Basci Law] BBL now. It has nothing to do with what happened in Mamasapano," said Hadji Mohammad Halil, head of the Bangsamoro Civil Society Organization in Cotabato.
Mohagher Iqbal, chairman of the peace panel of the rebel Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), said in a statement on Thursday that the MILF "does not wish to return to armed conflict".
"That is a path we will no longer return to, where we all lose, where we are all victims," he said. "For us there is no other option except the option of peace," Iqbal added.
The 10,000-member MILF had agreed to end decades of rebellion in the mainly Catholic nation in exchange for a proposed law that would give minority Muslims self-rule in several southern provinces.
The rebels were scheduled to start disarming at the start of this year under the peace treaty.
During a Senate inquiry on Thursday, Iqbal appealed to the government not let the January 25 incident derail years of peace negotiations.
"Let us be partners for peace," Iqbal said.
In the cities of Marawi and Davao, peace activists also condemned calls for war, saying the passage of the BBL "is the only solution for lasting peace."
"We sympathize with those who perished in Mamasapano, but we should not make it a reason to abandon the peace process, abandon the BBL, and make millions more including helpless children, orphans, women and elderly suffer from the horrors of another all-out war," said Ustadz Mauladdin Sagapan.
….as we enter the last months of 2021, we are asking readers like you to help us keep UCA News free.
For the last 40 years, UCA News has remained the most trusted and independent Catholic news and information service from Asia. Every week, we publish nearly 100 news reports, feature stories, commentaries, podcasts and video broadcasts that are exclusive and in-depth, and developed from a view of the world and the Church through informed Catholic eyes.
Our journalistic standards are as high as any in the quality press; our focus is particularly on a fast-growing part of the world - Asia - where, in some countries the Church is growing faster than pastoral resources can respond to – South Korea, Vietnam and India to name just three.
And UCA News has the advantage of having in its ranks local reporters who cover 23 countries in south, southeast, and east Asia. We report the stories of local people and their experiences in a way that Western news outlets simply don’t have the resources to reach. And we report on the emerging life of new Churches in old lands where being a Catholic can at times be very dangerous.
With dwindling support from funding partners in Europe and the USA, we need to call on the support of those who benefit from our work.