Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith introduces a special program for the victims of the Easter Sunday suicide bomb attacks in Colombo on Feb. 18. (UCA News photo)
Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith says he is ready to launch street protests if Sri Lanka's government does not bring the culprits behind last year’s Easter bombings to book.
He said the administration has not taken action regarding the Easter Sunday suicide bombings that killed about 300 people, including 40 foreign nationals, and injured at least 500.
"The most senior person in the government should have been brought to the Criminal Investigation Department and questioned if he had been aware in advance of the Easter bomb blasts," said Cardinal Ranjith on March 8 at Tewatta Church.
"There are reports that police officers investigating the Easter Sunday suicide bomb blasts are currently being transferred."
The cardinal said the government should publish all the interim committee reports on the bomb blasts.
"Investigations into the Easter Sunday attacks have revealed that current government-related 'big people' have also been involved, and no action has been taken against them," he said. "We will take to the streets with our people whether we have this election or not."
A parliamentary election has been slated for April 25.
A group of nine suicide bombers affiliated to local Islamist extremist group National Thowheed Jamath attacked three churches and three luxury hotels on April 21.
The suicide attacks became a turning point in the presidential election, bringing national security to the top of the agenda.
The government has initiated several investigations into the blasts, including one by a presidential panel and another by a parliamentary select committee.
President Gotabaya Rajapaksa appointed an independent commission to find the real culprits, supporters and all those responsible for the Easter massacre.
Cardinal Ranjith appeared before the presidential commission of inquiry on Dec. 6-7 last year.
The prelate said he decided to appear before the commission to represent the concerns, grievances and views of the victims, their families and the Catholic community at large.
He said those responsible should be brought to book and those who are linked to the attack directly and indirectly should be punished.
Earlier Cardinal Ranjith said that if he had known that an attack had been planned, he would have closed all churches and protected the faithful.
He said he has confidence in the present presidential commission.
Colombo Archdiocese has organized special prayer services and holy hours from 7pm at all churches from April 17-21 to pray for the bombing victims and their families.
On April 20, the vigil services at St. Anthony's in Kotahena, Colombo, and St. Sebastian’s in Katuwapitiya, Negombo, will be held at 8.45pm.
In a separate development, Father Lawrence Ramanayaka, director of Caritas Sethsarana, said the Church had distributed 71 million rupees (US$389,000) from the relief fund to 352 families three months after the attack.
Money allocated for the Christmas carol operation by the government in December has been used for the welfare of victims of the Easter bombing. Rajapaksa handed over a check for 3 million rupees (US$16,400) to Cardinal Ranjith.
"Those who have not acted in this connection are not eligible for our Catholic votes. We expect the president to make a statement in this regard," said Cardinal Ranjith. "We have witnessed persons involved in this incident leave the country."
….as we enter the last months of 2021, we are asking readers like you to help us keep UCA News free.
For the last 40 years, UCA News has remained the most trusted and independent Catholic news and information service from Asia. Every week, we publish nearly 100 news reports, feature stories, commentaries, podcasts and video broadcasts that are exclusive and in-depth, and developed from a view of the world and the Church through informed Catholic eyes.
Our journalistic standards are as high as any in the quality press; our focus is particularly on a fast-growing part of the world - Asia - where, in some countries the Church is growing faster than pastoral resources can respond to – South Korea, Vietnam and India to name just three.
And UCA News has the advantage of having in its ranks local reporters who cover 23 countries in south, southeast, and east Asia. We report the stories of local people and their experiences in a way that Western news outlets simply don’t have the resources to reach. And we report on the emerging life of new Churches in old lands where being a Catholic can at times be very dangerous.
With dwindling support from funding partners in Europe and the USA, we need to call on the support of those who benefit from our work.