ucanews.com reporter, Colombo
Updated: April 09, 2013 10:48 PM GMT
Sri Lanka yesterday reiterated its rejection of a US-sponsored resolution adopted at the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) in Geneva last month calling for a comprehensive war crimes probe.
Responding to a question by opposition leader Ranil Wickremesinghe in parliament yesterday, foreign minister G.L.Peiris said the government’s stance towards the resolution has not changed.
He accused the rights council of singling out Sri Lanka for “selective treatment.”
The UN resolution adopted last month, called for an independent and credible investigation into alleged war crimes committed during the country’s long and bitter civil war that ended in in 2009.
Both government forces and the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam rebels have been accused of abuses. Rights groups say up to 40,000 civilians were killed during the final stages of the war but the government denies causing civilian deaths.
Last month’s resolution, like a similar one adopted last year, also called on Sri Lanka to implement recommendations to address rights abuses put forward by its own local inquiry panel, the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission, appointed by President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
“The government would not hold talks with anyone on matters contained in the resolution," Peiris said.
He said the resolution attempts to shed Sri Lanka in a very poor light despite the country having returned to peace after decades of violence, which amounts to selective treatment.
“When we survey the global situation, Sri Lanka is now not a country with a troubling situation in the world. The proportionality of this resolution cannot be accepted as a result,” Peiris said yesterday.
But the US said this week that conflict in Sri Lanka could return unless it probes war crimes by both sides and addresses continuing grievances.
“Important steps in achieving real reconciliation have not even begun. Unless the government adequately addresses reconciliation and accountability issues, the country could return to conflict,” US ambassador to Sri Lanka, Michele Sison, said on Monday.
….as we enter the last months of 2021, we are asking readers like you to help us keep UCA News free.
For the last 40 years, UCA News has remained the most trusted and independent Catholic news and information service from Asia. Every week, we publish nearly 100 news reports, feature stories, commentaries, podcasts and video broadcasts that are exclusive and in-depth, and developed from a view of the world and the Church through informed Catholic eyes.
Our journalistic standards are as high as any in the quality press; our focus is particularly on a fast-growing part of the world - Asia - where, in some countries the Church is growing faster than pastoral resources can respond to – South Korea, Vietnam and India to name just three.
And UCA News has the advantage of having in its ranks local reporters who cover 23 countries in south, southeast, and east Asia. We report the stories of local people and their experiences in a way that Western news outlets simply don’t have the resources to reach. And we report on the emerging life of new Churches in old lands where being a Catholic can at times be very dangerous.
With dwindling support from funding partners in Europe and the USA, we need to call on the support of those who benefit from our work.