Updated: August 18, 2014 06:50 PM GMT
A remnant of the civil war, this tank now rusts in Sri Lanka's Elephant Pass. (Picture: Wikimedia Commons)
Sri Lankan officials on Monday sought more time to exhume a suspected mass grave in a former war zone after failing to secure the services of forensic experts.
The site in the eastern coastal town of Kalavanchikudy has been under investigation since a resident petitioned the local court, claiming the remains of around 100 Muslims killed 24 years ago at the height of Sri Lanka's ethnic war were buried there.
The claims of a mass grave in the east of the island follow the discovery of several similar sites elsewhere in the island's war zone as well as in the central part of the country.
Digging was scheduled to begin on Monday but a local magistrate allowed authorities to postpone it for a second time, a local police official said.
"There were difficulties in getting forensic experts from Colombo," said the official in Kalavanchikudy, 330 kms east of Colombo by road.
"The excavation was rescheduled for November 24."
He said it was the second time the excavation, initially scheduled to start on July 1, had been delayed for that reason.
Rights groups have accused Sri Lankan authorities of failing to investigate what the UN calls credible allegations of war crimes by both sides.
Some of the Tamil guerrilla leaders linked to atrocities have defected to the government since the conflict ended, and there have been allegations that the authorities were trying to protect them.
Sri Lanka's 37-year ethnic war, which ended in 2009, mainly pitted the majority ethnic Sinhalese, who are Buddhists, against the minority Tamils, who are mainly Hindus and live in the north.
Muslims, who account for around 10 percent of the population, largely avoided taking sides in the fighting.
But there have been allegations that the Tamil Tiger rebels carried out several massacres of Muslims in the east as part of their push to create a separate Tamil homeland. AFP
….as we enter the last months of 2021, we are asking readers like you to help us keep UCA News free.
For the last 40 years, UCA News has remained the most trusted and independent Catholic news and information service from Asia. Every week, we publish nearly 100 news reports, feature stories, commentaries, podcasts and video broadcasts that are exclusive and in-depth, and developed from a view of the world and the Church through informed Catholic eyes.
Our journalistic standards are as high as any in the quality press; our focus is particularly on a fast-growing part of the world - Asia - where, in some countries the Church is growing faster than pastoral resources can respond to – South Korea, Vietnam and India to name just three.
And UCA News has the advantage of having in its ranks local reporters who cover 23 countries in south, southeast, and east Asia. We report the stories of local people and their experiences in a way that Western news outlets simply don’t have the resources to reach. And we report on the emerging life of new Churches in old lands where being a Catholic can at times be very dangerous.
With dwindling support from funding partners in Europe and the USA, we need to call on the support of those who benefit from our work.