During the renovation work, the original cornerstone, which was laid in 1843, was found and has now been put on display. (ucanews.com photo)
The Cathedral of the Good Shepherd in Singapore celebrated its 120th anniversary on Feb. 14 with a dedication ceremony following the recent installation of a new altar.
The ceremony for Singapore’s oldest Catholic church and one of the oldest buildings in the city state — completed in 1847 and consecrated on Feb. 14, 1897 — follows a three-year-long, S$40 million (US$28.2 million) restoration project.
Besides the new altar, the cathedral has returned to its original neoclassical color scheme of white and dark yellow, with gold highlights in its interior. A new floor featuring the original black and white stone tiled checkerboard pattern was also laid.
A large part of the restoration work was also to build a new foundation.
During the work, the original cornerstone, which was laid in 1843, was found when the pillars at the rear of the Cathedral collapsed.
The stone has now been put on display.
Guest of honor at the dedication service, celebrated by Archbishop William Goh Seng Chye of Singapore, was Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean along with Minister for Manpower Lim Swee Say.
Members of Parliament and other dignitaries were also among the guests.