Daniel Wynn and John Zaw, Yangon and Mandalay
Updated: May 28, 2013 09:52 PM GMT
Flames engulf a building in Lashio in Myanmar's Shan state
A mosque, a Muslim school and shops were burned to the ground in the northeastern city of Lashio yestyerday in the latest incident of sectarian violence to hit Myanmar.
Unlike previous rioting between majority Buddhists and Muslims in the past year, no-one was killed in Lashio, according to police.
But a woman remained injured in hospital after she was doused in petrol and set on fire by a man during a dispute late yesterday afternoon which sparked the rioting.
After police detained the man, thought to be a Muslim, an angry Buddhist crowd surrounded the police station and demanded he be handed over, said Lashio resident Ko Teik.
When police refused, the mob went on a rampage, attacking a mosque near Lashio market, he added.
“Muslims had to leave their houses and properties and take refuge at relatives’ houses last night,” he said. “Even at midnight, flames could still be seen in the sky.”
Authorities responded with an emergency decree, initiating a curfew between 7pm and 5am and forbidding public gatherings and speeches.
Lashio’s main market was closed today in a bid to prevent further violence as residents said the city remained calm but in a state of fear.
Following sweeping political and economic reforms, religious violence remains a key challenge for reformist President Thein Sein’s government.
“Damaging religious buildings and creating religious riots is inappropriate for the democratic society that we want to create,” presidential spokesman Ye Htut said on his Facebook page in response to events in Lashio.
Yesterday’s violence follows similar rioting in the central city of Meiktila and Okkan township north of the country’s largest city Yangon in the past two months.
In June and October last year, at least 192 people were killed and about 140,000 displaced following rioting between Buddhists and minority Muslim Rohingyas in western Rakhine State.
….As we enter the first months of 2022, we are asking readers like you to help us keep UCA News free.
For the last 40 years, UCA News has remained the most trusted and independent Catholic news and information service from Asia. Every week, we publish nearly 100 news reports, feature stories, commentaries, podcasts and video broadcasts that are exclusive and in-depth, and developed from a view of the world and the Church through informed Catholic eyes.
Our journalistic standards are as high as any in the quality press; our focus is particularly on a fast-growing part of the world - Asia - where, in some countries the Church is growing faster than pastoral resources can respond to – South Korea, Vietnam and India to name just three.
And UCA News has the advantage of having in its ranks local reporters who cover 23 countries in south, southeast, and east Asia. We report the stories of local people and their experiences in a way that Western news outlets simply don’t have the resources to reach. And we report on the emerging life of new Churches in old lands where being a Catholic can at times be very dangerous.
With dwindling support from funding partners in Europe and the USA, we need to call on the support of those who benefit from our work.