ucanews.com reporters, Colombo and Vavuniya
Updated: March 06, 2013 11:05 PM GMT
Relatives of people who disappeared during and after the country’s civil war staged a scaled down protest in Colombo on Wednesday after police and soldiers prevented hundreds in the north from traveling to the capital to attend the demonstration.
More than 800 ethnic minority Tamils on buses were blocked as they tried to leave Vavuniya, 255 kilometers north of Colombo, a spokesman for the protesters said.
“They herded everyone into two churches and a hall and the bus drivers were threatened and harassed,” said Brito Fernando, convener of the Families of the Disappeared and Right to Life organization.
A military spokesman said the protesters were stopped because of concerns for their safety and to prevent possible clashes with government supporters.
"We received reports on Tuesday that some of the buses had been stoned," Brigadier Ruwan Wanigasooriya said.
The United States embassy expressed concern over the Vavuniya incident, saying the right to freely express opinions is universal and protected under Sri Lankan and international law and called on the government to allow free movement of its citizens.
The protest was to demand a UN probe into alleged human rights abuses committed during and after the war which ended in May 2009.
Rights groups say up to 40,000 civilians were killed during the final stages of the civil war but the government denies causing civilian deaths and responsibility for hundreds of disappearances.
A pro-government demonstration demanding a UN probe into war crimes committed by the Tamil Tiger rebels was also allowed to go ahead in the capital, near the relatives’ protest.
E. Saravanabhavan, an opposition lawmaker, said the protesters handed over a petition which they intended to hand to President Mahinda Rajapaksa calling for an inquiry to the government’s Divisional Secretariat in Vavuniya since they were not allowed to join the Colombo protest.
“The government officer accepted the petition and promised to forward it to the president,” he said.
….as we enter the last months of 2021, we are asking readers like you to help us keep UCA News free.
For the last 40 years, UCA News has remained the most trusted and independent Catholic news and information service from Asia. Every week, we publish nearly 100 news reports, feature stories, commentaries, podcasts and video broadcasts that are exclusive and in-depth, and developed from a view of the world and the Church through informed Catholic eyes.
Our journalistic standards are as high as any in the quality press; our focus is particularly on a fast-growing part of the world - Asia - where, in some countries the Church is growing faster than pastoral resources can respond to – South Korea, Vietnam and India to name just three.
And UCA News has the advantage of having in its ranks local reporters who cover 23 countries in south, southeast, and east Asia. We report the stories of local people and their experiences in a way that Western news outlets simply don’t have the resources to reach. And we report on the emerging life of new Churches in old lands where being a Catholic can at times be very dangerous.
With dwindling support from funding partners in Europe and the USA, we need to call on the support of those who benefit from our work.