Several priests and laypeople defending church property were injured during an assault by security officers and workers in China's northern Shanxi province. The incident occurred in Wangcun village of Laodingshan township, part of Changzhi Diocese on Aug. 29. Fathers Chen Jun, Gao Binglong, Ma Ning and Shen Xuezhong and several laypeople were assaulted by security officers and workers who came to demolish a property and its fencing walls that has returned to the church four years ago. Cui Hewen, a layman, was beaten by workers and suffered injuries to the head. Prior to the assaults, the priests joined hundreds of laypeople in a standoff with demolition workers in the morning. They sat in front of heavy earthmoving equipment to block the demolition work. News of the assault went viral on the internet, with some Catholics calling for prayers. Others asked for more laypeople to go to the site and provide support. By the afternoon, about 20 priests and nearly 2,000 laypeople gathered at the site.
Unable to carry on with their demolition order, the workers and security officials left the venue. Overnight, more than 200 laymen stood guard at the site. "The security officers and workers left only to discuss countermeasures. I fear that they will come back," Father Shen, parish priest of Wangcun Church, told ucanews.com. One of the four priests who was injured in the clashes. (Photo supplied)
The former church property was demolished in 1992 and rebuilt as a factory by local authorities. In 2012, the village committee decided to return the property to Changzhi Diocese. A document of that decision was issued the same year. The document noted that since the original church property had been demolished, the committee decided to allocate all facilities of the old factory inside the 3,600-square meter property to the diocese. It also stated that the resolution "comes into effect immediately." "But in April this year, the village committee suddenly said that they have to demolish the old factory and the fencing wall that now belongs to the church," said Father Shen. A joint circular issued on Aug. 28 by the branch of the Communist Party of Wangcun village and the village committee said they would come the next day to dismantle the remaining old factory buildings and fencing walls that were illegally built. The old factory buildings were built by the village committee. The fencing walls were built by the church. A plaza is set to be built on the site, said Father Shen. Watch the above ucanews.com video showing some of what occurred when priests and lay Catholics tried to block demolition work at the property in Changzhi.
Local authorities claim the demolition is based on a city government requirement to "demolish the old and broken." They said the development is the "joint work of five villages" and part of an "environmental revolution" relating to the transportation network of Changzhi city. The project was discussed and studied twice by the village committee, which passed the decision unanimously. Father Shen criticized the village committee for retracting its 2012 decision in returning the property to the church. "We lodged a complaint in April. The local authority set up an investigative team that was meant to negotiate with the diocese but there was no right of reply about their proposal and so they straight away tried to demolish it by force," said the priest. "If it is demolished, the authority would not give any compensation to the diocese. We surely will not agree," he said.
Support UCA News...
As 2020 unfolds, we are asking readers like you to help us keep Union of Catholic Asian News (UCA News) free so it can be accessed from anywhere in the world at no cost.
That has been our policy for years and was made possible by donations from European Catholic funding agencies. However, like the Church in Europe, these agencies are in decline and the immediate and urgent claims on their funds for humanitarian emergencies in Africa and parts of Asia mean there is much less to distribute than there was even a decade ago.
Forty years ago, when UCA News was founded, Asia was a very different place - many poor and underdeveloped countries with large populations to feed, political instability and economies too often poised on the edge of collapse. Today, Asia is the economic engine room of the world and funding agencies quite rightly look to UCA News to do more to fund itself.
UCA News has a unique product developed from a view of the world and the Church through informed Catholic eyes. Our journalistic standards are as high as any in the quality press; our focus is particularly on a fast-growing part of the world - Asia - where, in some countries the Church is growing faster than pastoral resources can respond to - South Korea, Vietnam and India to name just three.
And UCA News has the advantage of having in its ranks local reporters that cover 22 countries and experienced native English-speaking editors to render stories that are informative, informed and perceptive.
We report from the ground where other news services simply can't or won't go. We report the stories of local people and their experiences in a way that Western news outlets simply don't have the resources to reach. And we report on the emerging life of new Churches in old lands where being a Catholic can at times be very dangerous.
With dwindling support from funding partners in Europe and the USA, we need to call on the support of those who benefit from our work.
Click here to find out the ways you can support UCA News. You can make a difference for as little as US$5...