Updated: February 07, 2019 09:36 AM GMT
Professor Danilo Arao (second from left) speaks during a press briefing in Manila on Feb. 7 to announce digital attacks are being directed at alternative media sites. (Photo by Jire Carreon)
Alternative media sites in the Philippines have come under cyber attack in recent weeks after carrying stories critical of the government, according to some of their editors.
Danilo Arao, editor of bulatlat.com, said the "assaults" started after stories critical of the move to lower the age of criminal responsibility were posted on the news site.
Arao, who also teaches journalism at the University of the Philippines, the attacks were "well-funded, sophisticated and multi-pronged."
In a news briefing in Quezon City on Feb. 7, Arao said the attacks against bulatlat.com started in December and peaked last month.
The focus of the online assaults has since shifted to another alternative news service, Kodao Productions, he added.
Editors at another outfit, Altermidya Network, said their information technology experts were still trying to identify spam and malware sent to their site.
The Swedish Qurium Media Foundation, which is helping the sites to contain the attacks, said a "distributed denial of service [DDoS]" attack on bulatlat.com involved at least three million "requests per second," which represents the website’s average traffic over six months.
Qurium is a non-profit foundation that helps activist groups under attack by repressive governments and entities around the world.
A DDoS attack swamps a website’s capacity to serve its audience. At its worst, administrators are not able to access the site.
Tamer attacks can substantially slow down a site, with the possibility of audience giving up trying to access stories.
"We received 40,000 times the normal traffic on our site," said Len Olea, managing editor of bulatlat.com. She said there were as many as 40 attacks in a week.
"It takes a lot of money to do these attacks and the initial results of an investigation showed this," said Olea.
On Jan. 30, the day after the killing of a peace activist in the northern Philippines, "hits" on bulatlat.com "doubled from already heightened levels."
Editor Arao, however, said Qurium managed to staunch the attacks and migrated the site to safer servers.
He said the attacks were the work of "a large team with deep pockets."
"They initially kept their requests at a low ratio to avoid flood detection," he said. But the "slow intermittent flood" eventually became a deluge.
….as we enter the last months of 2021, we are asking readers like you to help us keep UCA News free.
For the last 40 years, UCA News has remained the most trusted and independent Catholic news and information service from Asia. Every week, we publish nearly 100 news reports, feature stories, commentaries, podcasts and video broadcasts that are exclusive and in-depth, and developed from a view of the world and the Church through informed Catholic eyes.
Our journalistic standards are as high as any in the quality press; our focus is particularly on a fast-growing part of the world - Asia - where, in some countries the Church is growing faster than pastoral resources can respond to – South Korea, Vietnam and India to name just three.
And UCA News has the advantage of having in its ranks local reporters who cover 23 countries in south, southeast, and east Asia. We report the stories of local people and their experiences in a way that Western news outlets simply don’t have the resources to reach. And we report on the emerging life of new Churches in old lands where being a Catholic can at times be very dangerous.
With dwindling support from funding partners in Europe and the USA, we need to call on the support of those who benefit from our work.