ucanews.com reporter, Karachi
Updated: April 14, 2015 10:00 PM GMT
A Pakistani Christian boy has died five days after being set on fire by two Muslim men, doctors and family said on Wednesday.
Nauman Masih, 14, was set on fire in an apparent sectarian attack in Lahore, the provincial capital of Punjab, last Friday. He was rushed to hospital with more than fifty percent of his body covered with burns.
“I work at a tailor shop. I was returning from the shop when two men on motorbikes stopped me and asked about my religion. When I told them I am a Christian, they started calling me names,” Nauman told a lawyer, in a video statement while in hospital, which was later uploaded on social media.
“When I asked them not to abuse me, one man poured kerosene on me and lit a match. I ran toward a heap of sand and lay down. A few people from the community put out the fire by putting sand on me. After that I fell unconscious,” he said.
Nauman said he did not know the identities of his attackers.
Dr Shahid Hussain, who treated the boy, confirmed Nauman’s death on Wednesday.
Some 55 percent of Nauman’s body was badly burnt when he was brought to hospital, he told ucanews.com.
The teenager’s father died when he was four and his mother is married to a Muslim man.
Nauman had been living with his paternal uncle, Nadeem Masih, who called on authorities to track down his nephew’s killers.
“I appeal to the Punjab government and Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif to ensure the killers are brought to justice,” Nadeem said.
“We have registered a police complaint,” he said, adding that he had raised Nauman like his own son.
Police told local media they have launched an investigation as a result of Nauman’s statement.
Joseph Francis, national director of the Center for Legal Aid Assistance and Settlement (CLAAS), condemned the attack.
“The killing of Nauman has further increased a prevalent sense of insecurity among Christians who are yet to recover from the twin suicide attacks on churches in Lahore,” he said.
At least 15 people were killed in the bombings on March 15.
….as we enter the last months of 2021, we are asking readers like you to help us keep UCA News free.
For the last 40 years, UCA News has remained the most trusted and independent Catholic news and information service from Asia. Every week, we publish nearly 100 news reports, feature stories, commentaries, podcasts and video broadcasts that are exclusive and in-depth, and developed from a view of the world and the Church through informed Catholic eyes.
Our journalistic standards are as high as any in the quality press; our focus is particularly on a fast-growing part of the world - Asia - where, in some countries the Church is growing faster than pastoral resources can respond to – South Korea, Vietnam and India to name just three.
And UCA News has the advantage of having in its ranks local reporters who cover 23 countries in south, southeast, and east Asia. We report the stories of local people and their experiences in a way that Western news outlets simply don’t have the resources to reach. And we report on the emerging life of new Churches in old lands where being a Catholic can at times be very dangerous.
With dwindling support from funding partners in Europe and the USA, we need to call on the support of those who benefit from our work.