Updated: October 30, 2013 07:09 PM GMT
Picture: Christian Science Monitor
By most accounts, defense lawyer Victor Koppe isn't known for mincing words. So when he delivered an excoriating indictment of the court known informally as the Khmer Rouge tribunal, there were more yawns than gasps from the judges, lawyers and spectators gathered in the courtroom on the outskirts of Cambodia’s capital, Phnom Penh.
“Procedural irregularities during the judicial investigation and this trial have been so persistent and troubling that we have hardly had time to object to them all,” Mr. Koppe said last week, according to transcribed remarks. “So too are the effects of the government’s pervasive control over these proceedings.”
"No one in this court is interested in ascertaining the truth,” he charged.
Few doubt that the man Koppe is defending, Nuon Chea, was at the top of Khmer Rouge, the radical Marxist guerrilla group whose ideology resulted in the deaths of as much as one-fifth of Cambodia’s population in the 1970s. Many more doubt the integrity of the judicial process that has sought to hold Nuon Chea and his co-defendant, Khieu Samphan, accountable for those atrocities.
With their trial nearing conclusion, and future trials increasingly doubtful, the tribunal is leaving a tarnished legacy, as legal experts vow never to repeat a similar structure and Cambodians wonder about why so much money has been spent on a flawed process.
Nuon Chea and Khieu Samphan are scheduled to take the stand Thursday to testify as part of closing arguments in the two men’s trial on charges of crimes against humanity. With a verdict expected early next year, legal experts and historians are looking hard at what exactly the court has accomplished.
“It wasn’t Nuremberg, but it wasn’t Stalin’s show trials either,” says Peter Maguire, a US historian and frequent critic of the court. “Good intentions don’t necessarily yield good outcomes.”
Source:Christian Science Monitor
….as we enter the last months of 2021, we are asking readers like you to help us keep UCA News free.
For the last 40 years, UCA News has remained the most trusted and independent Catholic news and information service from Asia. Every week, we publish nearly 100 news reports, feature stories, commentaries, podcasts and video broadcasts that are exclusive and in-depth, and developed from a view of the world and the Church through informed Catholic eyes.
Our journalistic standards are as high as any in the quality press; our focus is particularly on a fast-growing part of the world - Asia - where, in some countries the Church is growing faster than pastoral resources can respond to – South Korea, Vietnam and India to name just three.
And UCA News has the advantage of having in its ranks local reporters who cover 23 countries in south, southeast, and east Asia. We report the stories of local people and their experiences in a way that Western news outlets simply don’t have the resources to reach. And we report on the emerging life of new Churches in old lands where being a Catholic can at times be very dangerous.
With dwindling support from funding partners in Europe and the USA, we need to call on the support of those who benefit from our work.