UCA News

Indonesia

Indonesia's lawman under fire for 'abuse denial'

Rights groups, abuse victims accuse attorney-general of whitewashing two Jakarta massacres that killed 29 people

Support Asia's largest network of Catholic journalists and editors
Support Asia's largest network of Catholic journalists and editors
Indonesia's lawman under fire for 'abuse denial'

Maria Catharina Sumarsih, the coordinator of a group of human rights abuse victims, speaks about unsettled abuse cases during a protest held every Thursday outside the presidential palace. (Photo by Konradus Epa/ucanews)

Share this article :
Indonesian rights groups and victims of alleged abuses have condemned a claim by the country’s attorney-general that two Jakarta massacres committed soon after former dictator Suharto was toppled from power were not human rights violations.

The Semanggi tragedies, as they became known, saw security forces shoot dead 29 people as millions took to the streets of Jakarta and other cities following the end of Suharto’s more than 30-year rule in 1998.

The two incidents occurred when students joined protesters at the Atma Jaya Catholic University campus.

The first shootings on Nov, 11 and 13 in 1998 killed 17 people, while the second on Sept, 24, 1999, left 12 dead, with hundreds wounded.

"The first and second Semanggi tragedies were not gross human rights violations," Attorney-General, Sanitiar Burhanuddin, told Indonesian lawmakers on Jan. 16 at the parliament building.

He was explaining why these cases had not been settled, adding that an ad hoc human rights court had not been established because evidence was inadequate.

Maria Catharina Sumarsih, a human rights activist and mother of a student killed in the first Semanggi tragedy, accused the attorney-general of following in the footsteps of his predecessors in denying and whitewashing events.

She said Burhanuddin simply did not want to investigate the massacres, despite the National Human Rights Commission (Komnas HAM) having submitted evidence.

“There is strong resistance among politicians against pursuing these student shootings,” Sumarsih, who is also coordinator of a group of human rights violation victims, told UCA News. 

“If the president [Joko Widodo] is looking to settle cases like these, he must order the attorney-general to follow up the investigation of the rights commission," she said. 

Komnas HAM commissioner, Beka Ulung Hapsara said the Semanggi tragedies were gross human rights violations, as far as the commission was concerned.

“We waiting for official clarification from the Attorney-General’s office about its stance on this matter,” he said.

He said the attorney-general should not be making such statements to parliamentarians without having seen all the facts.

“If he saying there was insufficient evidence, the attorney-general should use the evidence filed by Komnas HAM,” he said.

Amnesty International Indonesia condemned Burhanuddin comments, saying they showed his lack of respect for victims.

“Burhanuddin’s statement is a setback for human rights protection and justice enforcement,” Usman Hamid, the group’s director, said.

He said several military and police officers had been tried for the deaths, but this did not go far enough because whoever ordered the shootings has been allowed to remain free, he added.

Support UCA News...

As 2020 unfolds, we are asking readers like you to help us keep Union of Catholic Asian News (UCA News) free so it can be accessed from anywhere in the world at no cost.

That has been our policy for years and was made possible by donations from European Catholic funding agencies. However, like the Church in Europe, these agencies are in decline and the immediate and urgent claims on their funds for humanitarian emergencies in Africa and parts of Asia mean there is much less to distribute than there was even a decade ago.

Forty years ago, when UCA News was founded, Asia was a very different place - many poor and underdeveloped countries with large populations to feed, political instability and economies too often poised on the edge of collapse. Today, Asia is the economic engine room of the world and funding agencies quite rightly look to UCA News to do more to fund itself.

UCA News has a unique product developed from a view of the world and the Church through informed Catholic eyes. Our journalistic standards are as high as any in the quality press; our focus is particularly on a fast-growing part of the world - Asia - where, in some countries the Church is growing faster than pastoral resources can respond to - South Korea, Vietnam and India to name just three.

And UCA News has the advantage of having in its ranks local reporters that cover 22 countries and experienced native English-speaking editors to render stories that are informative, informed and perceptive.

We report from the ground where other news services simply can't or won't go. We report the stories of local people and their experiences in a way that Western news outlets simply don't have the resources to reach. And we report on the emerging life of new Churches in old lands where being a Catholic can at times be very dangerous.

With dwindling support from funding partners in Europe and the USA, we need to call on the support of those who benefit from our work.

Click here to find out the ways you can support UCA News. You can make a difference for as little as US$5...
UCAN Donate
YOUR DAILY
NEWSLETTER
Thank you. You are now signed up to our Daily Full Bulletin newsletter
 
Support UCA News

William J. Grimm, MM

Publisher

Union of Catholic Asian News

"As Pope Francis has said, we live not so much in an era of change as in a change of era. That is especially true in Asia and for the churches of Asia. UCA News is the dedicated, Asia-wide news and information service for the Church in Asia and we need your help to maintain the service."