Katharina R Lestari, Jakarta
Updated: March 26, 2013 11:23 PM GMT
Members of a Protestant congregation in West Java have vowed legal action and to mark Holy Week as best they can, following the demolition of their church by authorities last week.
About 400 members of the Batak Protestant Church (HKBP) in Setu, Bekasi district, were forced to attend Sunday worship in a field at the weekend.
“We will keep holding prayers, including on Good Friday and Easter Sunday, outside our demolished church,” Reverend Torang Parulian Simanjuntak, a pastor at the church said on Monday.
He questioned the legality of the demolition and called for an explanation by local authorities as to why the bulldozers were sent in.
“We will file a lawsuit soon against the Bekasi district administration,” he said.
However a local government official said last week, before the demolition took place, that renovation work started last October to enlarge the church was illegal and that action would be taken.
The demolition on Thursday was the latest incident in a long-running dispute between the church and local authorities over a building permit for the structure.
Local authorities say the church was built illegally in 1999 without a permit and that an application submitted 12 years later in 2011 was invalid.
Authorities say the application lacked the required number of signatures from local Muslims approving the structure.
In Indonesian law 60 signatures are required in order to qualify for a building permit.
“We got 85 signatures from villagers but the village head said only 12 were valid. We, again, collected 89 signatures, but this time the village head said only 44 were valid,” Simanjuntaksaid.
“We see that this was an effort taken by the village head to ignore what is written in the law,” he added.
The director of the Jakarta Legal Aid Agency, Febi Yonesta, says the local authorities have a case to answer.
The district government ignored the law, he said. “A building cannot be demolished if a building permit application is in process. The district government must facilitate the construction of worship places instead of making it difficult.”
….As we enter the first months of 2022, we are asking readers like you to help us keep UCA News free.
For the last 40 years, UCA News has remained the most trusted and independent Catholic news and information service from Asia. Every week, we publish nearly 100 news reports, feature stories, commentaries, podcasts and video broadcasts that are exclusive and in-depth, and developed from a view of the world and the Church through informed Catholic eyes.
Our journalistic standards are as high as any in the quality press; our focus is particularly on a fast-growing part of the world - Asia - where, in some countries the Church is growing faster than pastoral resources can respond to – South Korea, Vietnam and India to name just three.
And UCA News has the advantage of having in its ranks local reporters who cover 23 countries in south, southeast, and east Asia. We report the stories of local people and their experiences in a way that Western news outlets simply don’t have the resources to reach. And we report on the emerging life of new Churches in old lands where being a Catholic can at times be very dangerous.
With dwindling support from funding partners in Europe and the USA, we need to call on the support of those who benefit from our work.