Updated: February 04, 2019 08:46 AM GMT
Christians and Muslims take part in a "unity walk" in Manila on Feb. 3 as part of a call for peace in the wake of deadly bomb explosions in the southern Philippines. (Photo by Jire Carreon)
Christians and Muslims in the Philippines held "unity walks" to call for peace following deadly blasts that rocked the south of the country last week.
In Manila, hundreds of people gathered for a prayer rally on Feb. 3 to show "the world that Filipino Muslims and Christians are one."
In Mindanao, an interfaith prayer rally was also held in Cagayan de Oro City on Feb. 2 to mark the start of the observance of "World Interfaith Harmony Week."
Monsignor Rey Monsanto admitted that there was "a sense of fear" among Catholic clergy in Mindanao and that the bomb explosions in Jolo and Zamboanga could spark further violence.
"We are worried that Christians and Muslims will begin blaming each other," said the priest, adding that they might use religion as an excuse to wage war.
Abdulnasser Masorong, director of the National Commission on Muslim Filipinos, said the violence "has caused harm to the entire nation in a divisive effort to further widen the gap between Muslims and Christians."
Alec Mohammad, a Muslim religious leader in Cagayan de Oro, however, said the violence "will not break the spirit of the long-standing relationship" among Mindanao’s peoples.
In Zamboanga City, Muslim religious leaders appealed for calm, saying any attack on a place of worship "can never be justified by rhyme or reason."
In Manila, Monsignor Albert Songco, vicar-general of the Military Ordinariate of the Philippines, urged people during the "unity walk" to "activate the forces of goodness, justice, love, and peace in our communities."
On Feb. 3, prayer intentions during Sunday Masses in Manila Archdiocese included the victims of the bombings in Jolo and Zamboanga.
Meanwhile, the Minor Basilica of the Black Nazarene in Manila, has beefed up security following the Jolo incident.
Sniffer dogs and security personnel have been deployed to patrol the church, also known as Quiapo Church, and the surrounding area.
The Archdiocese of Davao earlier prohibited backpacks and boxes inside churches as a security measure.
….as we enter the last months of 2021, we are asking readers like you to help us keep UCA News free.
For the last 40 years, UCA News has remained the most trusted and independent Catholic news and information service from Asia. Every week, we publish nearly 100 news reports, feature stories, commentaries, podcasts and video broadcasts that are exclusive and in-depth, and developed from a view of the world and the Church through informed Catholic eyes.
Our journalistic standards are as high as any in the quality press; our focus is particularly on a fast-growing part of the world - Asia - where, in some countries the Church is growing faster than pastoral resources can respond to – South Korea, Vietnam and India to name just three.
And UCA News has the advantage of having in its ranks local reporters who cover 23 countries in south, southeast, and east Asia. We report the stories of local people and their experiences in a way that Western news outlets simply don’t have the resources to reach. And we report on the emerging life of new Churches in old lands where being a Catholic can at times be very dangerous.
With dwindling support from funding partners in Europe and the USA, we need to call on the support of those who benefit from our work.