Bishop backs ban on sending Filipino workers to Kuwait

Philippine president set to impose ban following reports of sexual abuses against migrants to middle-eastern country
Bishop backs ban on sending Filipino workers to Kuwait

Filipino workers in Qatar line up to see Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte during his trip to the Middle East in 2017. (Photo courtesy of the Presidential Communications Office)  


Philippines
January 22, 2018
A Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines official has backed a move by President Rodrigo Duterte to ban the sending of Filipino migrant workers to Kuwait.

Bishop Ruperto Santos of Balanga, chairman of the Episcopal Commission on Migrants and Itinerant People, said a ban would protect workers from abuse.

Aside from stopping workers going to Kuwait, the prelate also demanded the government investigate abuses committed in other countries.

"We appeal that our government investigate and lodge diplomatic protests about deaths and sexual abuses," said the bishop.

He said it is the duty of the government to protect its people, especially migrant workers who contribute to the country's economy.

"They should be defended against abuses and unjust labor practices," the prelate said.

Last week, Duterte said he planned to impose a total ban on the sending of workers to Kuwait because of reports of sexual abuse and several workers being driven to suicide.

The Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs said there are about 250,000 Filipinos working in Kuwait, most as domestic helpers. 

 

Sign up to receive UCAN Daily Full Bulletin
Thank you. You are now signed up to our Daily Full Bulletin newsletter
© Copyright 2019, UCANews.com All rights reserved
© Copyright 2019, Union of Catholic Asian News Limited. All rights reserved
Expect for any fair dealing permitted under the Hong Kong Copyright Ordinance.
No part of this publication may be reproduced by any means without prior permission.