Updated: March 16, 2015 08:21 PM GMT
The Catholic Archbishop of Adelaide was Tuesday charged with concealing child sex abuse and has taken leave from his high-level Australian position to fight the allegation.
Philip Wilson was charged by New South Wales police in relation to an offense allegedly committed during the 1970s by known-pedophile priest Jim Fletcher, now dead, when both men worked at a diocese near Newcastle, north of Sydney.
Local media said the 64-year-old is thought to be the most senior Catholic official in the world to face charges of this nature, and if sentenced could face up to two years behind bars.
The charge is the work of Strike Force Lantle, which since 2010 has investigated claims of child abuse concealment by former and current clergy attached to the Maitland-Newcastle Diocese of the Catholic Church.
Wilson issued a statement acknowledging the developments.
"I am disappointed to have been notified by the NSW Police that it has decided to file a charge in respect of this matter," he said, adding that he would "vigorously defend" his innocence.
"I intend to take some leave to consult with a wide range of people in response to the information I have received today," he said.
A victim of Fletcher, Peter Gogarty, told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation he felt overwhelming relief that charges had been laid.
"I think it's a very, very important day for Australia, that we've now had someone in such a high position charged," he said.
"I hasten to add, everyone in this country is entitled to the presumption of innocence, but... the fact that our legal system has decided to charge someone this senior is enormously significant."
The matter is listed for mention in court on April 30.
The charges come as Australia is in the midst of a nationwide investigation into claims of pedophilia in institutions such as religious organizations, schools and state care.
It was established by former prime minister Julia Gillard in 2013 after more than a decade of pressure and has heard damaging allegations of child abuse involving churches, orphanages, schools and other groups dating back decades.
Wilson has given evidence to the royal commission and he said this was indicative of his efforts to adopt "best-practice child protection measures which I have pioneered since becoming a bishop". AFP
….As we enter the first months of 2022, we are asking readers like you to help us keep UCA News free.
For the last 40 years, UCA News has remained the most trusted and independent Catholic news and information service from Asia. Every week, we publish nearly 100 news reports, feature stories, commentaries, podcasts and video broadcasts that are exclusive and in-depth, and developed from a view of the world and the Church through informed Catholic eyes.
Our journalistic standards are as high as any in the quality press; our focus is particularly on a fast-growing part of the world - Asia - where, in some countries the Church is growing faster than pastoral resources can respond to – South Korea, Vietnam and India to name just three.
And UCA News has the advantage of having in its ranks local reporters who cover 23 countries in south, southeast, and east Asia. We report the stories of local people and their experiences in a way that Western news outlets simply don’t have the resources to reach. And we report on the emerging life of new Churches in old lands where being a Catholic can at times be very dangerous.
With dwindling support from funding partners in Europe and the USA, we need to call on the support of those who benefit from our work.