ucanews.com reporter, Karachi
Updated: January 24, 2018 10:05 AM GMT
Anglican Bishop Sadiq Daniel of Karachi-Balochistan Diocese visits a woman injured in the Quetta church attack. (Photo by Ayyaz Gulzar)
A second collection was taken at St. Patrick's Cathedral and many Catholic churches in Karachi to raise funds to help the victims of a deadly terrorist attack on Bethel Methodist Memorial Church.
At least nine people were killed and 57 wounded when two bombers stormed the packed Christian church in the southwestern Pakistani city of Quetta on Dec. 17 last year.
An Islamic State affiliate group claimed responsibility for the carnage.
In a letter written to Catholic priests, Archbishop Joseph Coutts of Karachi urged the faithful not to forget the attack victims and to contribute generously to support them at this difficult time.
"The loss is beyond our imagination. Looking at the number of deaths and injured and the damage to the church's property, it is difficult to compensate, especially those who lost their loved ones," the archbishop said.
He has already sent 300,000 Pakistani rupees (US$3,000) to the church with a hope that "this little contribution will be helpful for the people in need."
"I came to know that many of the injured are still in trouble and in pain due to the lack of facilities in state-run hospitals. It is saddening and I know it is expensive to get treatment on your own in private hospitals," Archbishop Coutts said.
Pastor Simon Bashir, who is in charge of Bethel Methodist Memorial Church, said it was still looking for help from the government.
"We are going through a tough time. The injured people are in much trouble and many have been moved to other private hospitals in Quetta, Karachi and Multan for better treatment," he said.
"One of our choir members is still under treatment after her intestines were damaged. The bags they are using to help her digestion cost around 1,500 rupees and have to be changed daily. Another choir member's daily expenses are 4,000 rupees due to a leg fracture."
….As we enter the first months of 2022, we are asking readers like you to help us keep UCA News free.
For the last 40 years, UCA News has remained the most trusted and independent Catholic news and information service from Asia. Every week, we publish nearly 100 news reports, feature stories, commentaries, podcasts and video broadcasts that are exclusive and in-depth, and developed from a view of the world and the Church through informed Catholic eyes.
Our journalistic standards are as high as any in the quality press; our focus is particularly on a fast-growing part of the world - Asia - where, in some countries the Church is growing faster than pastoral resources can respond to – South Korea, Vietnam and India to name just three.
And UCA News has the advantage of having in its ranks local reporters who cover 23 countries in south, southeast, and east Asia. We report the stories of local people and their experiences in a way that Western news outlets simply don’t have the resources to reach. And we report on the emerging life of new Churches in old lands where being a Catholic can at times be very dangerous.
With dwindling support from funding partners in Europe and the USA, we need to call on the support of those who benefit from our work.