In a land area of 9,543.35 square kilometers, the diocesan territory covers the whole provinces of Binh Duong and Tay Ninh, Binh Phuoc province’s three districts, and Ho Chi Minh City’s Cu Chi district. Phu Cuong diocese is bounded on the east by Dong Nai province, west by Long An province, south by Ho Chi Minh city and north by Binh Phuoc and Cambodia.
In the diocesan territory, the population was 3,356,000 as of 2016. It has ethnic groups of Ba Na, Cham, Khmer, Nung, Phu La, Stieng, Tay, Thai and Xinh Mun. There are no available data.
Vietnamese is mainly spoken in the diocesan territory. Ethnic languages are used within ethnic groups.
The area was a safe place sheltering Catholics from Catholicism persecutions during the 17th - 18th centuries, so Catholics from other places fled to this area. Foreign Jesuits and Franciscans worked in Lai Thieu parish that had 400 Catholics in 1747. Bishop Pigneau de Behaine moved a seminary from Chantaburi, Thailand, to the parish in 1789.
Phu Cuong diocese was erected on Oct. 14, 1965, separating from Ho Chi Minh City archdiocese. Bishop Joseph Pham Van Thien, the first bishop of the diocese, built a minor seminary, a charity center, the bishop’s house and facilities for Religious. In 1974, the diocese had 50,494 Catholics in 49 parishes and subparishes served by 58 priests, 206 Religious and 30 major seminarians. The diocese also ran 50 schools and 13 charity centers.
After Bishop Louiis Ha Kim Danh died in 1995, the diocese was vacant until Bishop Pierre Tran Dinh Tu was named bishop of the diocese in 1998.
The diocese established the Catholic Red Cross association in 1993 and the Social and Charitable Actions Committee in 2003. Local Catholics provide food, clean water and health care for underprivileged people and patients, build houses for poor people, and offer scholarships to poor students. Local nuns work with people with leprosy, HIV/AIDS patients and hearing-impaired people. The local Church also gives accommodation for ethnic minority children from remote areas.
The diocese trains clergy and Religious to serve local people, especially do evangelization. It also plans to build charity centers and train Church workers to work with and improve ethnic groups’ material and spiritual life.
The diocese is a suffragan of Ho Chi Minh City archdiocese. Its new cathedral is under construction. Its titular is Body and Blood of Christ, June 11.
Main modes of transportation include motorbikes, bicycles and buses.
The area has a tropical climate with two seasons - the rainy season lasts from May to November and the dry season from December to April.
The lowest temperature falls down to 19 degrees Celsius in December and January. The highest temperature rises up to 37 degrees Celsius in March-May.
The annual per capita income was as of the year 2009: 21,5 million dong (in Binh Duong, USD1,135 as of June 2010), 18 million dong (in Binh Phuoc, USD950 as of June 2010) and 23 million dong (in Tay Ninh, USD1,214 as of June 2010).
Most of residents are farmers who grow rice, sugar cane, pepper, rubber trees, cashew and fruit trees such as durians, mangosteen, rambutan.
Many young people work for foreign and domestic companies.
The diocese has followers of Buddhism, Christian and Islam and indigenous faiths of Cao Dai and Hoa Hao. Cao Dai is a syncretic belief system and Hoa Hao is a Buddhist sect.
Founded in 1926 and based in Tay Ninh province, Cao Dai has 700,000 followers or representing 70% of the province’s total population.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.