In a land area of 25,110 square kilometers, the diocese's territory covers two provinces of Gia Lai and Kon Tum.
As of 2016, the population was 1,833,200. The diocese has 40 minority ethnic groups. Most of residents are farmers.
Vietnamese, various minority dialects are in use.
In 1850 foreign and Vietnamese missioners started to evangelize tribal groups in Kon Tum province. They established many missionary centers that still exist so far. They also trained tribal catechists and clergy to work with local tribal villagers. Many tribal villagers converted to Catholicsm.
French Bishop Martial Jannin, the first bishop of the local Church, built Kontum missionary seminary (1935-1938). The timber building is still in the compound of the Bishop's House house and displays old items, maps, musical instruments, tools used by late missioners and tribal groups.
Missioners transcripted some tribal languages into Roman script and translated the Scriptures into tribal languages. They also composed bilingual dictionaries.
Missioners built an electricity hydro power plant and irrigation systems for local people to grow crops.
Kontum vicariate was erected on Jan. 18, 1932. At that time it had 24,525 Catholics served by 29 foreign and Vietnamese priests and 160 ethnic catechists.
Bishop Jean Sion, the second prelate of the vicariate established a congregation for tribal women in 1947. He also established a local major seminary in 1946.
The vicariate was elevated to a diocese after the establishment of the Vietnam Church Hierarchy on Nov. 24, 1960.
Bishop Paul Seitz and other foreign missioners were forced to leave the diocese after the country was reunified under communist rule in April 1975.
Bishop Alexis Pham Van Loc, the first Vietnamese prelate of the diocese, served the local Church until he retired in 1995.
During that time, many Church facilities were confiscated or closed by the government, Chruch activities were limited, local ethnic villages had no resident priests.
In recent years the diocese provides healthcare, education and accommodation for ethnic minority people with leprosy, orphans, people with physical disabilities and gives hostels and vocational skills for poor young people. It also develops welfare projects so as to improve material and spiritual life of local people, especially tribal groups who live in poverty.
The diocese also aims to train tribal catechists, clergy and Religious, and promote evangelization work among tribal groups as its top priority.
Diocesan website: www.giaophankontum.com
Road systems connect the area with other cities and provinces. Pleiku city, capital of Gia Lai province, has a domestic airport, connecting the area with Da Nang, Ha Noi and Ho Chi Minh cities.
The area has tropical monsoon with a rainy season (May-October) and dry season (Nov-April). It has an average annual temperature of 22-25 degrees Celsius and rainfall of 2,200-2,500 millimeters.
Mainly agriculture can be found in the diocesan territory. Rice, manioc, sugar cane, coffee, tea, pepper, rubber, cacao are cultivated. There are also factories processing coffee, sugar, cooking oil. It also has cement factories wood furniture manufacturers. The area has many hydroelectric plants.
The diocese is located in the Central Highlands bordering Laos and Cambodia. It mainly consists of mountains, lowlands and plateaus. On average the area is 500 meters higher than sea level. The land is suitable for rice, pepper, tea, cashew, coffee and rubber trees.
Religion includes Buddhism, Catholicism, Protestantism, Bahai, Cao Dai and other indigenous faith traditions.
The diocese has various tribal cultures. The Space of Gong Culture in the Central Highlands was recognized by UNESCO as a Masterpiece of the Intangible Heritage of Humanity on Nov. 15, 2005. The space of Gong culture consisting of gong instruments, performers, festivals, music, spreads over the Central Highlands provinces of Dak Lak, Dak Nong, Gia Lai, Kon Tum and Lam Dong.
On every first Friday of the month thousands of Catholics flock to Holy Cross Church of Cherpunkal in Kerala, India to revere Infant Jesus and St. Thomas, the founder of the church. The church stands on the southern bank of Meenachil River. This fabled church, also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross)Church, belongs to Catholic Diocese of Palai of the Eastern-rite Syro-Malabar Church.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.