In a land area of 9,079.1 square kilometers, the diocesan territory covers whole of the coastal Hai Phong city, provinces of Hai Duong and Quang Ninh and part of Hung Yen province. It borders with provinces of Bac Ninh and Bac Giang in the north, Ha Noi in the west, Thai Binh in the south and South China Sea in the east.
As year end 2016, the total population of the diocese was 5,150,000. Catholics in the diocese are Kinh or majority of Vietnamese. Most of people work as farmers and fishermen.
Vietnamese is the official language.
The faith first came to the diocese in the late 16th century.
The Dominicans and members of Paris Foreign Missionary Society were the first missionaries who established first centers of faith in the diocese.
When Pope Alexandre VII established the first two Apostolic Vicariates of Dang Ngoai (Tonkin) and Dang Trong (Cochinchine) on Sept. 9, 1659, the area of what is now Hai Phong diocese had parishes of Xu Bac, Xu Doai, Ke Sat.
Apostolic Vicariate of Dong Dang Ngoai (East Tonkin), that was carved from Dang Ngoai vicariate in 1679, produced dioceses of Bac Ninh and Bui Chu. Dong Dang Ngoai vicariate was named Hai Phong in 1924 and elevated to Hai Phong diocese in 1960 after the Vietnamese Catholic hierarchy was established on November 24 that year.
The Our Lady of the Rosary Cathedral was built in 1880.
After 330 years since the establishment of Dong Dang Ngoai vicariate in 1679, Hai Phong diocese has been served by 22 foreign bishops and four Vietnamese bishops.
Dominican Bishop Joseph Truong Cao Dai, appointed bishop of the diocese on Jan. 14, 1953, was its first Vietnamese bishop. At that time the diocese had 90 diocesan priests, seven Religious priests, 16 major seminarians, 61 parishes and 525 churches and chapels.
After French colonial troops were defeated by communists in the north in May 1954, most of local clergy, Religious, seminarians and 60,000 Catholics led by Bishop Dai fled to the south. Only eight priests, 10 seminarians, six old nuns and 54,617 Catholics remained in the diocese.
Religious activities of local Catholics were limited by the government for decades. Many clergy and seminarians were imprisoned or under house arrests and Church properties were confiscated.
Bishop Joseph Marie Nguyen Tung Cuong, who served the diocese in 1979-1999, sent hundreds of young people to study at state-run colleges and Church-run institutes in Ho Chi Minh city. Later many of them returned to study philosophy and theology in Ha Noi-based Saint Joseph Major Seminary and were ordained priests for the diocese. Others join local congregations.
Bishop Joseph Vu Van Thien, the fourth native bishop, built the bishop's house and re-establishes Catholic associations. He also invites religious congregations who used to serve the diocese to work there. Some Religious from Adorers of the Holy Cross, Dominicans, Dominican nuns, Redemptorists and the Blessed Sacrament work there.
In recent years the diocese has given priority to pastoral care for Catholic students and internal migrant workers, most of them youths from rural areas, so they can have a mature faith and avoid temptation and traps in society.
Local Catholics hope their clergy and Religious will bring a bright future to them.
Diocesan website: www.gphaiphong.org
Hai Phong has a tropical climate with seasonal variations according the monsoon period. The north-east monsoon lasts from November to March and the south-east monsoon lasts from April to October. Annual mean temperature ranges from 23-24 degrees Celsius while rainfall averages at about 1,600-1,800 mm per annum. Mean relative humidity is about 85-86%. The rainy season lasts from April to October.
Hai Phong City, 100 kilometers east of Ha Noi, has the north's largest commercial port built by French colonials in 1890, with many colleges as well as garment and footwear manufacturing companies.
Gonsalo's martyrdom at Nagasaki with the other Christian missionaries is regarded as the most tragic and historic event for Catholicism in Japan
Calungsod and his companion Father Vitores baptized infants, children and adults, defying the risk of persecution and murder
Despite being an ordinary layman, Ruiz remained defiant while facing torture by the Japanese and died a brave martyr
He was the first Korean-born Catholic priest and is now the patron saint of Korea
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
Asian Catholics who cannot visit famous Our Lady of Lourdes shrine in France can revere miraculous Mother Mary at Velankanni shrine in India. The Basilica of Our Lady of Good Health is popularly known as “the Lourdes of the East” and holds the largest Catholic Church in Asia.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
The shrine holds a three-meter-tall, white-stone carved statue Virgin Mary on the Tao Pao Mountain in the Diocese of Phan Thiet in southern Vietnam, about 1,600 kilometers from the national capital Hanoi.
The Immaculate Conception Cathedral in Urakami of Nagasaki is a witness of persecution of Christians from 17th to 19th centuries and deadly atomic bombing during the Second World War. This European-style, red-brick church continues to preserve some relics that survived the atomic bombing. Urakami cathedral, also known as St. Mary’s Cathedral, was almost destroyed when the atomic bomb was dropped on Aug. 9, 1945. The church stood about 500 meters from the hypocenter of atomic explosion. The devastation shattered and charred stone-made statues of saints, which were later preserved as relics along with the surviving head of Virgin Mary statue and one of the church’s original bells.
Our Lady of Akita Catholic Church is Yuzawadai is among the most famous churches in Japan. The church shot into global fame thanks to a wooden statue of Blessed Virgin Mary that wept 101 times and Marian apparitions to Japanese nun Sister Agnes Katsuko Sasagawa that miraculously healed her hearing impairment. Japanese wooden sculptor Saburo Wakasa from Akita city carved the now-famous miraculous statue of Virgin Mary in 1963.