Da Nang diocese was founded on Jan. 18, 1963. It has a land area of 11,348.46 square kilometers and covers Da Nang City and Quang Nam province.
The diocese was the birthplace of Catholicism in southern Vietnam. Three foreign Jesuit missioners landed at Hoi An, a famous ancient town, on Jan. 18, 1615, and began their evangelization work. One of the fruits of their evangelization was the first Vietnamese Blessed, Blessed Andrew of Phu Yen, who was a catechist. He was born in 1625 and beheaded on July 26, 1644, at the age of 19. On March 5, 2000, Pope John Paul II beatified the youth, regarded as the first Vietnamese Catholic martyr.
During the 17th and 18th centuries, Da Nang was one of the biggest evangelization centers in the Cochinchine diocese (southern Vietnam), and a safe place for foreign missioners.
As of 2016, the diocese had a population of 2,348,071 including about 70,000 ethnic groups of Co, Co Tu, Gie Trieng and So Dang within its territory.
The Marian Shrine of Tra Kieu, located in Quang Nam province, is a famous pilgrimage site. In September 1885, the Blessed Mother reportedly appeared atop the church of the predominantly Catholic village of Tra Kieu to help parishioners defeat royal soldiers who were trying to exterminate Christian villagers.
Within the diocese is My Son Shrine, a complex of mosques and religious relics of the Champa Kingdom. The Champa ethnic group, who were mostly Hindus, built the shrine in the fourth century. Da Nang city is the most major trading center in central Vietnam. Its services include civil aviation, shipping, travel and tourism.
Diocesan website: www.giaophandanang.org
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.