The diocesan territory stretches over a land area of 4,812.8 square kilometers and includes Kurunegala in North Western Province. About 85% of this diocese is rural and it is the commercial center of a coconut, rice and rubber plantation. The several main roads connect to various important parts of the country. Kurunegala is a central city in Sri Lanka and is directly connected to a large number of major cities and towns of the island.The principal rivers that run through this diocese are Deduru Oya, Ratambala Oya, Mi Oya and Maha Oya.
The name "Kurunegala" is a combination of kurune, meaning a tusked elephant, and ethagala, the name of a 316-meter high rock which towers over the town, located at an altitude of 116 meters above sea level. Ethagala resembles an elephant. Kurunegala's old name was Hasthishailya-pura.
Kurunegala was a royal capital of Sri Lanka in the 13th century. It is the "treasure house" of archaeology, having been the seat of four medieval kingdoms of Sri Lanka between the 12th and mid-14th centuries. Impressive remains of beautiful citadels, fortresses, palaces, temples, shrines, monasteries and hermitages can be found here.
Today, Kurunegala is an important crossroads town, astride the route from Kandy to Puttalam, and from Colombo to Anuradapura. It enjoys a pleasant location overlooked by huge rocky outcrops some of which have been given names of the animals they resemble: elephant rock, tortoise rock etc. According to a legend, during a time of drought, some animals threatened the city's storage capabilities by consuming huge amounts of water and were magically turned to stone. There are excellent views of a lake from the rock Ethagala.
Kurunegala diocese is adjacent to Anuradhapura in the north, Colombo in the west, Galle in the south, Kandy in the center. Kurunegala is a predominantly Buddhist area. The diocese was founded on 15th May, 1987. The number of priests when the diocese first began was 20. In 2007, there are 51 diocesan priests. Earlier, Kurunegala was under Chillaw diocese and later carved out as a new diocese. Kurunegala diocese's patron saint is St. Anne. The diocese covers the whole of North-Western province.
In Kurunegala diocese, the population was1,638,000 at the end of 2016. (The population of the whole country is 21,670,000) Most residents are Sinhalese.
Standard Sinhala language is generally in use, while Tamil is used in some areas.
The climate is tropical monsoon, with about 1,800 millimeters of rain per year. Kurunegala's climate is fairly temperate and tropical all throughout the year. However during the month of April, the temperature can rise up to about 35 degrees Celsius. The only major change in Kurunegala weather occurs during monsoon seasons of May to August and October to January, when heavy rains occur. In general, temperatures from late November to mid-February are lower than for the rest of the year.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.