Kandy is a hilly area in the Central province of Sri Lanka, spanning a land area of about 5,620.1 square kilometers. The city of Kandy, located 500 m above sea level, is filled with trees. It lies in the midst of hills of rare vegetal species. Tea and rubber are the main industries, owing to the hilly nature of the country.
The place is one of the most scenic cities in Sri Lanka. The name Kandy is derived from the Sinhalese Kanda Uda Pas Rata, literally ' the five districts on the mountain'. The Portugese shortened this to 'Candea', using the name for both the kingdom and its capital. In Sinhala, Kandy is called Maha Nuwara, meaning, "Great City" (or capital).
Kandy is a Sinhalese majority city; although other ethnic groups do reside, such as the large presence of Moors in areas such as Tennekumbura and due to historical reasons such as the Moors settling in the upland valley areas. There are also a sizeable minority of Tamils living in Kandy.
The Sinhala, Tamil and English languages are in use.
Kandy is first mentioned in the fourteenth century, when the Temple of the Tooth, was built to contain that famous relic of Buddha brought to Sri Lanka for safety about 311. In 1592 the town became the capital of Ceylon, and the king's palace was built about the year 1600. Kandy was the last stronghold of the old dynasty, and kings continued to rule there up to the beginning of the nineteenth century, when the last king, Vikrama Raja Sinha, was taken prisoner by the British (1815) and sent to Vellore. The Temple of the Tooth still remains, in honor of this precious relic of the Buddha.
The Vicariate of southern Colombo had been in the hands of the Sylvestrine Benedictines since 1855, but the needs of the country demanding a greater supply of missioners than the Sylvestrines could meet, the Vicariate of Kandy was entrusted to them in 1883.
The town had a seminary for native students of India and Sri Lanka, now only for Sri Lankan seminarians.
Kandy diocese is adjacent to Anuradhapura in the North, Batticaloa in the West, Galle in the South. The diocese was erected on Sept. 1, 1886. On Jan. 5, 1939, Bishop Bishop Clemente Pagnani was appointed as the first Bishop of Kandy on Nov. 25, 1886. Before his appointment, the had served as Vicar Apostolic of Kandy. He died in June 1911.
Earlier what is now the Kandy diocese was under Colombo diocese and later carved out as a new diocese of Kandy. The Kandy diocesan patron saint is St. Anthony.
Kandy is located in a high elevation and in the middle of Sri Lanka. The island itself has a tropical climate but Kandy being in the middle and at high altitude, does have a cooler temperature.
The monsoon season happens from May through July as well as December and January. The island is in the northern hemisphere and therefore has its coldest month in January and the hottest in July. The average temperature is about 29.25 degrees Celsius.
From the palm-groves and sweltering heats of Colombo the railway line threads its way a distance of seventy-five miles through tea-plantations, wild bush, and forest, across mountain streams and under crags of limestone overhanging in great boulders.
In the vicinity of Kandy is an immense cemetery where were deposited the bodies of the mighty kings and heroes of Sri Lanka, and about four miles away are the botanical gardens of Peradenia, covering one hundred and fifty acres with most luxuriant exotic vegetation. Indeed the vegetation all around Kandy is luxuriant, and when the white flower of the cinnamon tree is in blossom the effect is very wonderful. Other trees that furnish the landscape are the ebony and satinwood. The woods here also have a curiosity in the nature of a fruit, the caskew, which produces its nut outside of the skin, and form the fruit itself, which is not very palatable, a strong intoxicant is distilled. Serpents are numerous, especially the cobra and the carawilla.
On every first Friday of the month thousands of Catholics flock to Holy Cross Church of Cherpunkal in Kerala, India to revere Infant Jesus and St. Thomas, the founder of the church. The church stands on the southern bank of Meenachil River. This fabled church, also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross)Church, belongs to Catholic Diocese of Palai of the Eastern-rite Syro-Malabar Church.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.