In a land area of 1,056.70 square kilometers, the diocesan territory covers the civil Province of Romblon.
Romblon is a province composed of 20 islands and islets surrounded by deep waters in the Western Visayas region known as Region IV. Its three main islands - Tablas, Sibuyan and Romblon - lie between the western tip of Panay Island and the end of the Bondoc Peninsula in Luzon. The Sibuyan Sea surrounds and separates them from the mainland of Luzon and the rest of the Visayas.
The whole province is generally mountainous. Narrow strips of coastal lowland, low hills and plains characterize some of the islands.
Romblon belongs to the Southern Tagalog (Islands) Region IV-B or MiMaRoPa (Mindoro, Marinduque, Romblon and Palawan) Region.
Romblon is a lone district which politically subdivided into 17 municipalities and 219 barangays.
In the diocesan territory, the population is 534,550 at the end of 2017 of which 81.40 percent are Catholics.
The Ethnic groups in the diocesan territory are the "Asi" People or "Bantoanons" and the "Aetas" of Carabao Island and "Mangyans" of Sibuyan Island.
There are three distinct languages spoken as a native language by Romblon's inhabitants; they are Romblomanon or Tiyad Ini including many variant Sibuyanon dialects, Bantoanon or Asi, and Inunhan or Onhan. Hiligaynon, Tagalog (Filipino), and English are also used.
Diocese of Romblon (Diocesis Romblonensis)
Suffragan of Capiz
Created: Dec. 19, 1974
Erected: April 17, 1975
Comprises the civil Province of Romblon
Titular: St. Joseph, Patron of the Universal Church
Secondary Patron: Sto. Niño de Romblon.
The local church of the Diocese of Romblon has shown tremendous growth since its erection in April of 1975.
The earliest historical data on Romblon comes from the historian Loarca, who visited Romblon in 1582. He wrote that Dutch warships and Muslim pirates often descended on the islands, killed all male inhabitants, and brought away all women and children for slaves.
In 1853 the colonial government of Spain organized Romblon into a politico-military command post, and made it a sub-province of Capiz. The islands remained part of Capiz until it became a regular province after 1946.
The formation of Basic Ecclesial Communities comes first among the support initiatives undertaken as a response to the threats against the faith. The Commission on the Laity, in coordination with the Diocesan Social Action Center assists in organizing faith communities that will work for poverty alleviation of poor parishioners.
The Pastoral Council of the Laity serves as an advisory body to the clergy in pastoral matters. The Organization of Lay Ministers plays its vital role in the parishes too. Because the members find ongoing formation a necessity, they attend weekly evangelization programs without fail.
On the economic side, the faithful of the diocese have come to realize that the time has come to give material and financial support for effective evangelization. The transition from arancel to the pledge system has brought encouraging results. After a period of massive campaign on information about the new system, monthly pledges of financial support have now started to come into the parishes. The faithful of the diocese are finally accepting the pledge system.
Part of the offering of the faithful - 20 per cent of total - is to be allocated for the minister's share. This is supposed to provide the clergy with decent sustenance. To assist the pastors assigned in far-flung parishes, it has been decided that revenues for ministers' shares be pooled and apportioned equitably to all ministers of the diocese. This means richer parishes may be able to assist the poorer ones, and pastors working in all sectors of the diocese will enjoy equal ministers' shares.
The economic situation of the church in Romblon has improved considerably since the pledge system was introduced. From hereon the diocese hopes to move forward to the biblical tithing system.
The Social Action Center (SAC) assists primarily in the creation of parish-based cooperatives that cater to the socio-economic needs of poverty areas within a parish. At present there are 17 parish-based cooperatives in the diocese.
The website of Diocese is available at: http://romblondiocese.blogspot.com
A Philippine province is headed by a Governor. A Provincial Council (Sangguniang Panlalawigan) is composed of a Vice Governor (Presiding Officer) and Provincial Board Members. A Philippine city or municipality is headed by a Mayor. A City Council (Sangguniang Panlungsod) or Municipal Council (Sangguniang Bayan) is composed of a Vice Mayor (Presiding Officer) and City or Municipal Councilors. A barangay is headed by a Barangay Captain, who is also the presiding officer of the barangay council. The Barangay Council is composed of seven (7) Barangay Kagawads. A similar unit called a Youth Council (Sangguniang Kabataan) is headed by an SK Chairperson with a similar rank to a Barangay Captain. The council is composed of SK Members.
As of November 2008, the annual per capita income was (in Philippines Pesos) 18,918 or USD609 as of September 2010.
There are three companies providing local and long distance telephone service in the territory such as Philippines Long Distance Telephone (PLDT), Liberty Telecom and Odiongan Telephone Corporations (OTELCO). Telegraph services are available at the town proper. Mobile phone providers in the area are Globe Telecom, Smart and Sun Cell using EDGE technology, while internet service is provided by Odiongan Telephone Corporations (OTELCO).
There is one cable network provider: Romblon Cable Corporation which is located at the President Roxas, Romblon.
There are two AM and one FM radio stations owned by the Manila Broadcasting Corporation in the province.
Romblon is known worldwide for its marble industry due to the marble deposits. Also, the province holds large deposits of kaolin clay, nickel, magnetism, quartz, silica, and zinc, copper, silver, limestone and sulfide ores.
Fishing is a year-round activity. The province is also largely agricultural with coconut, palay, corn and banana as major crops.
Romblon is famous for its traditional weaving and basketry. Handicrafts are a major home industry in which the women are engaged. The province is noted, especially, for its fine and delicate crochet laces and bedspreads.
Romblomanon celebrate their nine-day town fiesta every January, in honor of the Santo Niño, Patron Saint of Romblon town. With Loarca's expedition came the image of the Santo Niño, a replica of the one in Cebu. Legend has it that when the expedition was ready to depart, strong typhoons prevented it from getting out of Romblon Bay. The Spaniards attempted seven times to leave and each time they had to turn back. It was believed that the Santo Niño wanted to stay in Romblon. When the Spaniards decided to leave it on shore, it stuck to its present place and the expedition sailed safely out to sea. This even resulted in the conversion of many natives to the Catholic faith. During the "Biniray Festival" in January, people decorate themselves with flowers and vines, paint their faces, and dance in the streets. A fluvial procession honoring the image of the Holy Child circles the bay seven times to reenact the Spaniards' futile attempt to leave the bay.
Kanidugan means nidog or niyog (coconut) which the town of Odiongan celebrate every year. The townsfolk also celebrate their fiesta in favor of Saint Vincent Ferrer. The highlight of the Kanidugan Festival is the competition of various "tribes" or performing teams during the street parade.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.