Geographically the Archdiocese of Lingayen-Dagupan is situated in the center of the province of Pangasinan. It has a land area of 1,565 square kilometers. It is bounded on the east by the Diocese of Urdaneta, and on the west by the Diocese of Alaminos, both places also in Pangasinan. On the south, it is bounded by the province and Diocese of Tarlac, and on the north and northwest by the Lingayen Gulf and the Diocese of San Fernando, La Union.
A majority of the people speak the Pangasinan dialect. The people are bound by strong family ties. The family is traditionally religious, and most local interactions are characterized by religious tradition. Most social celebrations are also related to religious events.
Historically, Pangasinan figures prominently as the battleground for many wars in the country. Lingayen Gulf was the headquarters of the Chinese pirate Limahong who came even ahead of the Spanish forces. In World War II General Douglas MacArthur landed in Lingayen to resume military operations against Japan. Andres Malong, a Filipino officer commissioned with the Spanish forces, led the first revolt of the province in 1660. The Augustinians were the first missionaries to arrive in Pangasinan. But they found the people unresponsive, addicted to idolatry, and the so-called Anitos (worship of spirits). Unable to make much headway, they proceeded north to the Ilocos provinces, but not before having founded the big towns of Lingayen, Dagupan, and Manaoag. Some secular priests and some Franciscans are also recorded as among the first missionaries of Pangasinan. But like the Augustinians, they also went north abandoning the so-called barren and unfruitful land.
The Dominicans were the most successful missionaries in Pangasinan and they stayed until the Revolution of 1898. As early as 1587, they established the town of Binalatongan, now San Carlos City. Other big towns they founded are Calasiao, Binmaley, Santa Barbara and San Fabian. Meanwhile, the Augustinian Recollects evangelized the western part of the province which is now the territory of the Diocese of Alarninos.
The Diocese of Lingayen was erected on May 19, 1928, comprising the entire province of Pangasinan. In 1954, because of the destruction brought on Lingayen by World War II, the See was transferred to Dagupan, and the diocese is now known as the Diocese of Lingayen Dagupan. On Jan. 12, 1985, the western part of Pangasinan was made the Diocese of Alaminos, and the eastern part the Diocese of Urdaneta, both dioceses becoming suffragans of Lingayen-Dagupan along with the dioceses of Cabanatuan, San Jose (Nueva Ecija) and San Fernando (La Union). In 1963 the diocese was elevated to an archdiocese.
Pastoral activities are concentrated on worship, catholic education, Youth apostolate, social action, and pastoral work with the family. A noteworthy innovation is an attention given to worship. The archdiocese is achieving progress in making the liturgy the framework of worship. Devotions remain popular, but adequate success has been achieved to integrate these with the liturgy. Thus, devotions to saints, who are local favorites, have been weaned off the novena syndrome and integrated with the celebration of the Mass.
On social action, Archbishop Oscar V Cruz established the Caritas Dagupan, the primary objective of which is to help the poor of Christ help themselves through livelihood and health projects. The Archdiocesan Commission on Social Action and Allied Services initiates programs that encourage entrepreneurship among rural communities. The Commission grants financial assistance to rural folks so they can put up small-scale industries, or organize cooperatives to eventually improve their standard of living.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.