The Union of Myanmar geographically, ethically and politically falls into 7 Division and 7 states. The Diocese of Pathein is situated squarely in the Ayeyarwaddy Division which is spread over an extensive area of some 18,089 square kilometers and has as of 2009 a population of 5,575,410. It borders in the north on Bago Division which includes the diocese of Pyay. On the eastern side there is a Yangon Division, containing sprawling archdiocese of Yangon. To the southeast it has the Mon State and the Tinintharyi Division with the diocese of Mawlamyine. Pathein diocese is situated in the extreme southern part of Myanmar, its extensive course bounded by the Bay of Martabin. The bulk of the entire Diocese of Pathein is located in the delta region of Myanmar. The Ayeyarwaddy, the longest river in the country, origines in the north and ultimately finds the way down south, criss-crossing this whole area with its rivulets - bigger and smaller before flowing into the Bay of Bengal. It is particularly due to this fact that the delta is known ''Granary of Myanmar". The whole country has to rely on the delta for food (rice) the greatest production of the country. This delta area reports by far the highest output of paddy in the country. The diocese is covered by paddy fields and wet lands criss-crossed by numerous rivers and rivulets, flowing to the Bay of Bengal in the south. Most of the region is mainly inhabited by tribal Kayin (Karens) and has a population of about 5.6 millions.
The Diocese of Pathein (Bassein) was officially erected in 1954 when Pope Pius XII established the catholic Hierarchy in Burma. Apostolate first started among the Karens of the Delta area in 1884 by an Italian priest, Father Dominic Tarolli who came to Burma with Bishop Cao in 1831.
Later in 1846, he was joined by Father Pogolotti - an Oblate cleric earlier ordained at Amarapura in 1843. Myaungmya was fixed as their headquarters or mission Center. Father Tarolli, however, was made prisoner during the second Anglo-Burmese War in 1852. The mission establishment were totally destroyed.
When Bishop Bigandet arrived from France in Burma in 1856, he appointed Fathers Lacrampe and Naude to evangelize this area. At the cost of much sacrifice and toil, early intrepid pioneers Fathers Lacrampe, Naude and Tardivel managed to establish a flourishing mission. Kanazoggon became the Mission Centre for Father Lacrampe. He soon set up a church, a clergy house and a school and by 1862 there were already one thousand Catholics.
Father Naude, instead, went across to Maryland and opened up a Mission there. Other outstanding missionary figures like Father Tardivel, Father Bringaud, Father Rouver, Father Maigre and Father Boudard did much to spread the Good News throughout this difficult virgin area; a name that stands out at this time was that of Father George D'Cruz who initiated the Apostolate of the Press among the Karens.
The tireless and zealous effort of those pioneers compelled with the sweet and toil of Burmas's own sons - the native priests, the Church in Pathein steadily developed, 1954 was a memorable year and one of tremendous joy - the first ever Bishop of Pathein - Monsignor George U Kyaw had his episcopal ordination.
Bishop George U Kyaw administered the Diocese from 1955 to 1967. Father Joseph Mahn Erie succeeded him as the next bishop. He was solemnly ordained at St. Mary's Cathedral in Yangon by the apostolic Delegate, Monsignore G.Capri, on June 12, 1968. Bishop Mahn Erie served the Diocese till his resignation in the middle of 1982. The elderly priest, Father Joseph Velerius Sequeira, took over as Bishop of Pathein later in 1985.
On April 27, 1988 Father John Gabriel was appointed auxiliary bishop of Pathein. At that time Bishop Sequeira served the Diocese until 1992. He retired due to his advanced age when Bishop John Gabriel was installed as bishop of Pathein on Feb. 23, 1992.
Unfortunately, Bishop John Gabriel's time at the episcopal office lasted only for two and a half years. He hardly lived long enough to see the fruits of his toils and labors. He died on Aug. 14, 1994. On his demise, Monsignor Paulinus Mahn Ei Shaung was elected Vicar Capitular of the Diocese of Pathein. Finally, after a couple of years, Bishop Charles Bo, SDB (the incumbent Bishop of Lashio) was appointed to the see of Pathein as its fifth Bishop - on May 24, 1996. He was officially installed on Aug. 25, 1996.
Far-sighted, being energetic and willing to serve and develop the Diocese of Pathein, Bishop Charles Bo, SDB , took a faithful and daring step to animate and convene a Diocesan Synod Dec. 12 -20, 1997 that has been giving birth to all developments of the diocese.
On March 22, 2003, Father John Hsane Hgyi was appointed Auxiliary Bishop of Pathein and finally was installed as Bishop of Pathein on Aug. 24, 2003, when Bishop Charles Bo, SDB, became Archbishop of Yangon.
On every first Friday of the month thousands of Catholics flock to Holy Cross Church of Cherpunkal in Kerala, India to revere Infant Jesus and St. Thomas, the founder of the church. The church stands on the southern bank of Meenachil River. This fabled church, also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross)Church, belongs to Catholic Diocese of Palai of the Eastern-rite Syro-Malabar Church.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.