The Diocese of Sibu is located on the central part of Sarawak. When it became a diocese in 1986 it covered the Sibu, Mukah, Kapit and Sarikei divisions of Sarawak comprising the towns of Sibu, Kanowit, Mukah, Dalat, Sarikei, Bintangor, Julau, Kapit and Song. It covers an area of 58,542.3 square kilometers or 47 percent of Sarawak's territory. The diocese's population is made up of Chinese, Malays, Ibans, Bidayuhs, Melanaus and Orang Ulu, among others.
The population is dominated by Chinese especially the Fuzhou as well as indigenous Melanau, Malay, and Iban. The district population (per year 2008 census) is 255,000.
There is no known adjective for the people from Sibu, although there have been many unofficial suggestions: Siburian, Sibuian, Sibunite, Sibu-yan - none are officially recognised.
Sibu has a reputation as a rough, frontier town on the riverside. Even today, it is one of the most bustling towns in East Malaysia. It was originally called "New Foochow"after the Foochow immigrants from the Fujian province of China, who settled in Sibu in the early 20th century at the invitation of Rajah Charles Brooke. However, there were many ethnic groups immigrant from China at that time, such as Heng Hua, Hokkien and others. These people brought a lot of positive changes to Sibu town. The new settlement was located next to a small Melanau village that had been established in the 1850s. The first group of Chinese immigrants from Fuzhou, China, led by Pastor Wong Nai Siong, reached Sarawak in year 1900.
With the Rajang River becoming increasingly bustling with economic activity, Sibu served an important role in the Brooke administration as a trading center between the coast and the vast upriver hinterland. Sibu continues to fulfill this role today.
Sibu also has university-level courses offered by United College Sarawak, which has built a campus on the site of the old Sibu airport.
Sibu Jaya, located 25 kilometers away, is being developed as a satellite town. Sibu Airport, built during the World War II, was relocated to its present site in 1994.
Sibu (the seat of the diocese) is a town, and the capital of Sibu District (229.8 square kilometers) in Sibu Division, Sarawak. It is located at the confluence of the Rajang and Igan rivers, some 60 kilometers from the ocean.
Sibu is the main tourist gateway to the Upper Rajang River, with its small towns.
There has been a marked increase in public buildings in recent years. Sibu now boasts the largest town square in Malaysia, and the tallest building in Sarawak - the Sanyan, a newly refurbished waterfront, and a large number of public parks.
There used to be a Sibu Fort, which was built by Rajah Brooke in 1862. The fort was located at Race Course Road. However, it no longer exists now. It was common for the White Rajah to build such forts to stake his territorial claim as well as means of protection.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.