The Diocese of Keningau is located in the "Land Below the Wind" - north of Borneo Island - in the state of Sabah. When it became a diocese in 1993 it covered the interior division of Sabah comprising the towns of Beaufort, Keningau, Tambunan, Tenom, Kuala Penyu, Membakut, Sipitang, Sook and Kemabong. It is the oldest and largest district in the interior part of Sabah. It consists of 43 subdistricts and 245 villages.
Nearly 90 percent of the population in Keningau are Dusuns and Muruts, eight percent are Chinese and other indigenous locals.
Keningau town is connected by road through the Kimanis/Papar and Tambunan Roads from Kota Kinabalu, which is about 138 kilometers in length. Keningau is 67 kilometers from Nabawan, 35 kilometers from Sook and 48 kilometers from Tenom. There is also an abandoned airport.
The last flight to Keningau by Malaysia Airlines was in the 1970s.
Bahasa Melayu is the official language and is the medium of instruction in school but other languages, such as Chinese, Dusun, English and Murut are also widely spoken and used in commerce.
The name Keningau is derived from the Javanese cinnamon tree (Cinnamomun burmannii) which is abundant in the area. The tree is also known as "Kayu Manis" in Malay and it has also been referred to as the 'king of spice.' The bark of this tree was collected by the British North Borneo Company to be sold as spice.
Keningau used to be one of the most important administrative centres of the British in the early 1900s. The Japanese also made use of Keningau was one of its government centres during their occupation of Sabah in World War II.
The village of Nuntunan in Apin-Apin was known as "44" during British rule. This indicated its distance of 44 miles (71 kilometers) from Tenom, another British administration centre. Nuntunun was also known as "Office" because the British had its office by the Sg Apin-Apin riverbank which was later taken over by the Japanese. When the British returned after the surrender of the Japanese, the remaining Japanese soldiers surrendered at Nuntunan.
Keningau has a tropical climate with seasonal variations. The north-east monsoon lasts from November to April and the south west monsoon, from May to October. Annual mean temperature ranges from 24 degrees Celsius to 32 degrees Celsius while rainfall averages at about 2,500 mm per annum. Mean relative humidity is about 74.2 percent.
The Keningau district has an area of 3,532 square kilometers (1,364 sq mi) and is situated in a valley surrounded by the Crocker Range to the west and the Trus Madi Range to the east and south.
Islam is the official religion in Malaysia but the nation's constitution guarantees freedom of worship. The other religions found in the district are Christianity, Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism and Animism.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.