The Hamhung diocesan territory stretches over 52,322 square kilometers and covers Hamkyongnam and Hamkyongbuk provinces. However, its southern part belongs to Tokwon Territorial Abbacy in North Korea.
The diocese belongs to the ecclesiastical province of Seoul which comprises Seoul archdiocese; the dioceses of Chunchon, Daejeon, Incheon, Suwon, Uijeongbu, and Wonju; the two North Korean dioceses of Hamhung and Pyongyang; and the territorial abbacy of Tokwon, also in North Korea.
The Benedictines first came to Korea in 1909 when two German Benedictine priests, including Bishop Boniface Sauer, then a priest, started work in Seoul. But tension with French missioners in Seoul made them move to Wonsan apostolic vicariate, when it was carved out of Seoul apostolic vicariate and entrusted to them by the Vatican in 1920. Father Boniface Sauer, OSB, was appointed the apostolic administrator of Wonsan in 1920 and ordained bishop the following year.
On Jan. 12, 1940, the apostolic vicariate of Wonsan was divided into Hamhung apostolic vicariate and Tokwon Territorial Abbacy. Bishop Sauer, then the apostolic vicar of Wonsan, became the first apostolic vicar of Hamhung.
However, Bishop Sauer, along with priests and nuns in the vicariate, was arrested in 1949 by communists in the North. Among them, eight priests and religious, including Bishop Sauer, were killed or died in a Pyongyang prison in 1950. In addition, five priests, 10 brothers and two nuns died in concentration camps during the Korean War (1950-1953). But 42 German priests and religious were repatriated by the communists in 1954. Since the Korean War, the North has not had a resident priest or religious.
The vicariate was elevated to a diocese on March 10, 1962, when the Korean Church hierarchy was formally established.
According to a Changchung Church leader, North Korea has some 3,000 Catholics with no resident priest. The three district councils of North Korean Catholics -- Donghae (East Sea), Sohae (West Sea), and Pyongyang -- have 500 worship places. About 200 Catholics attend Sunday Mass at Changchung Church. The Donghae district appears to cover the territories of Hamhung diocese and Tokwon Territorial Abbacy, and the northern part of Chunchon diocese in North Korea.
The (North) Korean Roman Catholics' Association was set up in June 30, 1988. Samuel Chang Jae-on has been its president since its establishment. The association published a catechism and a prayer book in 1991, and uses the Bibles sent by the Catholic Church in South Korea.
In 1960, there were a total of 800,000 people living within Hamhung diocesan territory. Recent statistics are not available.
Korean language is in use.
Hamhung diocese falls within the temperate zone and has the four distinctive seasons of spring, summer, autumn and winter. The diocesan territory is divided into two -- a plateau area and a coastal area. The plateau's yearly average temperature is 3-5 degrees Celsius, and annual precipitation averages some 600 millimeters. The coastal area temperature is around 10 degrees and precipitation is some 1,000 millimeters. Most of the rainfall is concentrated in the rainy months (monsoon period) of June through September.
Most of the land in Hamkyong is mineral rich. It has a mountainous region, while its coastal area has strips of plains. In the 1940s, industry was developed in the region thanks to rich forest products, marine and mineral resources, and hydroelectric power plants. However, farming was less developed due to a lack of fertile plains.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.