In a land area of 62,103 square kilometers, the diocesan territory covers three districts in West Kalimantan province: Sintang, Kapuas Hulu and Melawi.
Sintang district with 21,638 square kilometers has 17 subdistricts: Ambalau, Binjai Hulu, Dedai, Kayan Hilir, Kayan Hulu, Kelam Permai, Ketungau Hilir, Ketungau Hulu, Ketungau Tengah, Sei Tebelian, Sepauk, Serawai, Sintang and Tempunak.
Kapuas Hulu with 29,824 square kilometers has 23 subdistricts: Badau, Batang Lupar, Batu Datu, Boyan Tanjung, Bunut Hilir, Bunut Hulu, Embaloh Hilir, Embaloh Hulu, Embau, Empanang, Hulu Gurung, Kalis, Putussibau Selatan, Bika, Mentebah, Puring Kencana, Putussibau Utara, Seberuang, Selimbau, Semitau, Silat Hilir, Silat Hulu, Suhaid.
Melawi with 10,641 square kilometers has 11 subdistricts: Belimbing Hulu , Nanga Pinoh, Menukung, Sokan, Sayan, Tanah Pinoh, Belimbing, Pinoh Utara, Pinoh Selatan, Tanah Pinoh Barat.
The transportation that links all towns in these three districts are river, road and path.
As of 2017, a total of 1,018,483 people lived in the territory. The natives of West Kalimantan are the Dayak people, but now the province has Malay and Chinese people. The government-run transmigration program had brought also Javanese and Florinese people to West Kalimantan.
The Catholic mission in Sintang diocese starts in Sejiram when Apostolic Vicar Monsignor AC Claessens of Batavia informed in his Feb. 25, 1884 letter about his meeting with the Governor General of the Dutch East Indies that gave Borneo to the Catholic mission.
On July 29 1890, Father H. Looymans arrived in Semitau as the first mission for the Dayaks. Due to the fact that only Chinese and Malays stayed in Semitau, in 1892 Father Looymans was brought to Sejiram, where he built a house on the riverside of Seberuang River, surrounded by four Dayak villages.
The priest then built a church, school and a small house for school children. Only in seven months Father Looymans had baptized 58 boys and girls. But Father Looymans and Father Mulder had to leave Sejiram in 1898.
Kalimantan became an apostolic prefecture on Feb. 11, 1905. The first apostolic prefect, based in Pontianak, was Father Pacificus Bos OFMCap. He was appointed on April 10, 1905.
It was in May 1906, when the apostolic prefect visited Sejiram. Based on that visit, on Aug. 22, 1906, Father Pacificus Bos restored the mission station of Sejiram and sent Capuchin missionaries, Father Eugenius, Father Camillus and Brother Theodorius. Some Franciscan sisters followed them. But, they found no church, school and houses constructed earlier by Father Looymans however, the faith of the baptized people was still there.
They build a new church and parish house and launched spiritual activities and social works, including a plantation for the Dayaks' socio-economic development. They also started education even though the priests had to go to the villagers to find pupils.
In 1939, Montfort missionaries replaced the Capuchins. Three Montfort missionaries arrived in Sintang in that year. More mission stations were opened in Sintang, and on March 11, 1948, Sintang with five missions stations became an apostolic prefecture with Monsignor Lambertus van Kessel SMM as its first prefect.
In the same year the first Dayak was ordained a priest, Father Aloysius Ding.
Apostolic prefecture of Sintang improved to become an apostolic vicariate on April 23, 1956. On Jan. 3, 1961, Pope John XXIII established the Catholic hierarchy in Indonesia. Sintang was declared a diocese and Monsignor Lambertus van Kessel SMM became its first bishop. He resigned in August 1973.
Father Isak Doera was appointed bishop of Sintang on Dec. 9, 1976, and ordained bishop on May 19, 1977. He was then assisted by Ursuline sisters and Caritas sisters, and by more catechists graduated from the School for Catechetic founded by Mgr Van Kessel. Bishop Isak Doera resigned on Jan. 1, 1996.
Bishop Agustinus Agus was appointed bishop of Sintang on Oct. 29, 1999. His episcopal ordination was on Feb. 6, 2000.
Sintang and Putussibau have small airports. The land transportations are still poor. Not all villages can be accessed by roads. River transportation is available the diocese.
The main industries in the diocese are rubber, timber and palm oil.
The telecommunication in the diocese is not so good. Not all parts in the diocese can be reached by phone, the Internet, television and radio.
The education in the capitals of the districts is good, but illiteracy is more prevalent in hinterland or rural areas of West Kalimantan due to the limitation of teachers.
Sintang diocese is rich in cultures. The Dayak parishioners in hinterlands still live in Dayak traditional house called "betang" built in many cultures. Dayak has many tribes. Kapuas Hulu district, for example, has 20 tribes of Dayak with different language, tradition and culture, such as traditional dance, music instruments, literature, weaving, handicrafts, cakes, and food.
The dwellers of betang live in tolerance and hospitalities. They cooperate in cultivating fields and cleaning the betang. Tribal law solves the conflicts among “betang” dwellers.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.