In a land area of 211,440 square kilometers, the archdiocese of Samarinda is located in eastern part of Kalimantan, Indonesia's southern territory of Borneo Island. The archdiocese's geographical territory covers Samarinda, Balikpapan, and Bontang Cities, and West Kutai, Kutai Kartanegara, East Kutai , Pasir, Penajam, and North Paser districts.
In socio-cultural context, local people, including Catholics, have their own traditions and languages. They are: Tidung, Banjar, Berau, Kutai, and Lundayeh. However, their encounter can be easier thanks to the national language of Bahasa Indonesia.
The history of the mission of Catholic Church in East Kalimantan began in 1907, when Capuchin missioners started to serve in Laham village located along the banks of Mahakam river, about 500 kilometers from Samarinda. On March 21, 1907, the first three missioners - Fathers Libertus Cluts and Camilus Buil and Brother Ivo - were sent from Pontianak, in West Kalimantan, to East Kalimantan in order to serve here. After going through a long trip from Pontianak to Jakarta and Surabaya, they arrived in Samarinda on April 24, 1907. They later went to Long Iram village. After staying here for two months, they went to Laham village on June 26, 1907, and arrived there two days later. At the beginning, they stayed for a year at a temporary shelter usually used by traders and militaries. Afterward, they stayed at a simple parish house.
On Jan. 6, 1913, the first baptism for 14 boys was organized. And on July 29 in the same year, 21 girls were baptized. The first Catholic wedding ceremony was held on Oct. 6, 1925. But five years earlier, or in 1920, Franciscan nuns from Veghel, the Netherlands, came to help the Capuchin missioners.
Due to a difficult communication between Laham village and Pontianak and a lack of manpower to evangelize in West and East Kalimantan, Capuchin provincial in the Netherlands wrote Holy Family provincial on Aug. 18, 1924, asking Holy Family Society to take over the pastoral service in East Kalimantan. Holy Family provincial accepted it and even wanted to serve not only in East Kalimantan but also in South and Central Kalimantan.
On Jan. 1, 1926, the first three Holy Family missioners - Fathers F. Groot and J. Vander Linden and Brother Egidius Stoffles - left Amsterdam for East Kalimantan. Since 1926, the Holy Family Society officially took over and continued the evangelization started by the Capuchin missioners. New missioners were sent in: two missioners in 1927, three missioners in 1928, and another three missioners in 1929. The first place they chose as a mission station was Tering village.
In 1928, a priest and a brother were sent in so as to establish a parish house and a church. The first years were a difficult time because they had no enough experience and faced challenges like infectious diseases.
On May 21, 1938, the ecclesiastical areas of Central, South and East Kalimantan were separated from Pontianak and became the apostolic prefect of Banjarmasin.
When the Second World War broke out, Tarakan Island was assailed by Japan on Jan. 11, 1942, which then led to the capture of priests, including those from Balikpapan.
During Japanese occupation, some priests were killed together with other Dutch people. When the Japanese authority expelled many missionaries, several lay leaders emerged in some places who played a significant role in maintaining people's faith.
Prior to Indonesian independence in 1945, the condition of East Kalimantan started to improve, which enabled missionaries to continue their mission, including the development of Tering.
Since 1948, two MASF nuns - Sister Yosefa and Sister Bernarda - started a community in Balikpapan, and in 1949 four MASF sisters started Tering mission, taking over the role of Franciscan Sisters who rejoined their colleagues in West Kalimantan after Japanese occupation.
On Feb. 21, 1955 petition was sent to Rome for the expansion of the vicariate. Then apostolic vicariate of Samarinda was established.
Since that time, under the leadership of Bishop Michael Cornelis C. Coomans, MSF, mission center was relocated from Tering to Samarinda, covering the areas of East Kalimantan, but excluding Balikpapan which joined Samarinda diocese in 1966.
When Samarinda became apostolic vicariate, there were 4,955 Catholics, 23 pastors and 4 religious brothers. Its condition at that time as mission center lagged behind Banjarmasin and Balikpapan. At that time there was only one church building, small and made of wood. The building and the rectory were almost collapsed.
Since Jan. 3, 1961, the status was elevated from apostolic vicariate to diocese of Samarinda.
In 1963, Dutch pastors were asked to leave hinterland missions. However, several lay leaders petitioned the local and central government to review such policy. They succeeded and in 1965, missionaries returned to their parishes in remote areas.
In 2002, Rome approved the establishment of Tanjung Selor diocese, and Bishop Yustinus Harjosusanto MSF was assigned the ordinary overseeing the northern territory of East Kalimantan province.
In economic context, this province is rich in natural resources such as oil, natural gas, and coal. Other sectors which are developing are agriculture, tourism, and manufactural industries. East Kalimantan is the richest province in Indonesia and has a GDP equivalent per Capita of $9,000 (as of June 2009), while the national per capita income is equivalent of $3,900.
Gonsalo's martyrdom at Nagasaki with the other Christian missionaries is regarded as the most tragic and historic event for Catholicism in Japan
Calungsod and his companion Father Vitores baptized infants, children and adults, defying the risk of persecution and murder
Despite being an ordinary layman, Ruiz remained defiant while facing torture by the Japanese and died a brave martyr
He was the first Korean-born Catholic priest and is now the patron saint of Korea
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
Asian Catholics who cannot visit famous Our Lady of Lourdes shrine in France can revere miraculous Mother Mary at Velankanni shrine in India. The Basilica of Our Lady of Good Health is popularly known as “the Lourdes of the East” and holds the largest Catholic Church in Asia.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
The shrine holds a three-meter-tall, white-stone carved statue Virgin Mary on the Tao Pao Mountain in the Diocese of Phan Thiet in southern Vietnam, about 1,600 kilometers from the national capital Hanoi.
The Immaculate Conception Cathedral in Urakami of Nagasaki is a witness of persecution of Christians from 17th to 19th centuries and deadly atomic bombing during the Second World War. This European-style, red-brick church continues to preserve some relics that survived the atomic bombing. Urakami cathedral, also known as St. Mary’s Cathedral, was almost destroyed when the atomic bomb was dropped on Aug. 9, 1945. The church stood about 500 meters from the hypocenter of atomic explosion. The devastation shattered and charred stone-made statues of saints, which were later preserved as relics along with the surviving head of Virgin Mary statue and one of the church’s original bells.
Our Lady of Akita Catholic Church is Yuzawadai is among the most famous churches in Japan. The church shot into global fame thanks to a wooden statue of Blessed Virgin Mary that wept 101 times and Marian apparitions to Japanese nun Sister Agnes Katsuko Sasagawa that miraculously healed her hearing impairment. Japanese wooden sculptor Saburo Wakasa from Akita city carved the now-famous miraculous statue of Virgin Mary in 1963.