Catholic mission in Maumere began when Dominican Fathers Joao Bautista da Fortalezza and Simao da Madre de Deus arrived in Paga and Sikka, respectively, in 1566. Both missioners spread Catholicism along the Flores coast. As a result, Maumere had 200 Catholic families in 1613.
In 1862, Father J. Fransen from Larantuka visited Catholics in Maumere and asked them to build a new mission station. Jesuit Father Metz came in 1863 and worked together with Father Fransen to develop the mission. Two other Jesuits, Fathers Dijkman and Omzigt, followed Father Metz in 1864 and worked in Maumere. By then, local Catholics numbered 6,310.
In 1873, Father Omzigt, the mission superior, established St Joseph Church, which today serves as the diocesan cathedral. Afterward, several more Jesuit priests and brothers as well as Sisters of Charity came. They built new mission stations, schools and student dormitories.
The apostolic prefecture of Lesser Sundas (Nusa Tenggara), which also included Flores, was erected in November 1913. Divine Word Bishop Petrus Noyen was appointed apostolic prefect, and Divine Word priests took over mission work from the Jesuits. Similarly, the Missionary Sisters, Servants of the Holy Spirit took over the work of the Charity sisters.
By 1914, the Catholic population had grown to 17, 402.
On Dec. 12, 2005, the Vatican announced the establishment of Maumere diocese. Based in Maumere town, it covers Sikka district. It had been one of Ende archdiocese's three vicariates. The other two are Ende, which covers Ende district, and Bajawa, which covers Ngada district.
On April 23, 2006, Monsignor Vincentius Sensi Potokota was ordained the new diocese's first bishop. He was appointed archbishop of Ende on April 14, 2007, after the sudden death of Archbishop Longinus Da Cunha.
Maumere diocese covers an area of 1,731,932 square kilometers. It borders Larantuka diocese in the east and Ende archdiocese in the west.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.