The archdiocese covers 5,084.50 square kilometers in the central part of Flores Island. It serves the people of Bajawa and Ende districts.
Ende is an archdiocese, with Atambua, Denpasar (Bali), Larantuka, Weetabula (Sumba) and Ruteng its suffragan dioceses. The first Archbishop of Ende was Monsignor Gabriel Manek, SVD, who had been the first Timorese to be ordained priest, in 1941.
Local people have their own traditions and languages, but they all speak the national language of Bahasa Indonesia.
The Archdiocese of Ende was established in 1961 as head of the ecclesiastical province that included the other five dioceses in East Nusa Tenggara and West Nusa Tenggara provinces. Based on Flores Island, it remained the regional Church center until the establishment of the Archdiocese of Kupang in 1967. The Church in the region, however, goes back to the 16th century, when Jesuits and Dominicans came with Portuguese traders who were looking for sandalwood in Timor Island. The Portuguese missioners operated within the rights granted them under the patronage arrangement approved by the Vatican and the kingdoms of Spain and Portugal.
Dominicans officially began the mission in 1561 on Solor Island, after obtaining an agreement from the bishop of Malacca. From their base on Solor, they visited Adonara Island and coastal areas of Flores. By the end of the 16th century, many local people had become Catholics, and 20 mission stations had been established on Solor, Adonara and Flores. In the early 17th century, however, local people supported by Muslims from Goa and Makassar as well as the Dutch opposed the Portuguese. Many missionaries were expelled or killed, and the faith life of Catholics in the area became weak.
The 1854 Lisbon Agreement between the Portuguese and the Dutch provided a favorable atmosphere for the renewal of mission work. This agreement was renewed and ratified in 1860, when Flores and Solor Islands were ceded to the Dutch. Dutch diocesan priests from the Apostolic Vicariate of Batavia (Jakarta), which covered all areas of the Dutch East Indies, gave the area increased attention from 1859. These priests were replaced by Jesuits, who began to work in Larantuka in 1863. In 1873, the Jesuits opened a new mission in Maumere. From these centers, mission work spread through the western part of Flores.
After the Society of the Divine Word requested a mission in the apostolic vicariate of Batavia, the Holy See in 1912 permitted the SVD to work in the Lesser Sunda Islands (Nusa Tenggara) under the jurisdiction of Batavia vicariate. At first, the society worked on Timor and Sunda Islands. In 1913, Father Petrus Noyen took up residence in Lahurus as coordinator of the mission on Timor Island, helped by several fellow Divine Word priests and brothers. In the same year, apostolic prefecture of Lesser Sunda was established and Father Noyen was appointed its apostolic prefect. In mid-1914, Flores was brought into in the prefecture, and the Jesuits left in 1920.
Following his visit to Flores, Father Noyen felt that Ende (Ndona) was the most suitable base for the prefecture. During 1915/1916, he built a residence there as well as a school. The prefecture covered all of Nusa Tenggara: Bali, Lombok, Sumbawa, Sumba, Flores, Solor, Adonara, Lembata, Pantar, Alor, Timor and the many smaller islands.
The mission grew quickly, and was elevated in 1922 to the apostolic vicariate of Lesser Sunda, led by Monsignor Arnold Vestralen, SVD. When Monsignor Vestralen died due to a car accident in 1932, Monsignor Hendrikus Leven, SVD, succeeded him and led the vicariate until 1951. The local Church continued to develop rapidly, even amid war and Indonesians' struggle to free themselves from Dutch and Japanese colonization. Many churches and chapels were built for the sake of sacramental ministry,while many schools were established to educate children. In 1926, a seminary was established in Sikka, but it was later moved to Mataloko. In 1937, the Society of the Divine Word opened a major seminary in Ledalero, Maumere. Four years later, the first local vocations were ordained priests. Meanwhile, the local women's congregation of the Followers of Jesus was established in 1935.
Due to the increase in the number of Catholics, however, pastoral work became increasingly difficult for one apostolic vicar to manage alone. So the Holy See created the apostolic vicariate of West Timor in 1936. In 1950, two prefectures were created from the remaining Lesser Sunda territory: the apostolic prefecture of Sumba and the apostolic prefecture of Bali-Lombok. Even so, the prosperous mission on Flores required further divisions, and in 1951 the Church there was divided into three more vicariates: the apostolic vicariate of Ende, led by Monsignor Antonius Thijssen, SVD; the apostolic vicariate of Larantuka, led by Monsignor Gabriel Manek, SVD; and the apostolic vicariate of Ruteng, led by Monsignor Wilhelmus van Bekkum, SVD. Ende vicariate covered Ngada, Ende and Sikka districts.
Many people earn their living as subsistence farmers. Only a few work as fishermen, animal breeders, laborers or at other jobs.In general, they are not rich economically.
On every first Friday of the month thousands of Catholics flock to Holy Cross Church of Cherpunkal in Kerala, India to revere Infant Jesus and St. Thomas, the founder of the church. The church stands on the southern bank of Meenachil River. This fabled church, also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross)Church, belongs to Catholic Diocese of Palai of the Eastern-rite Syro-Malabar Church.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.