In a land area of 25,786 square kilometers, the diocesan territory covers two provinces: Bali and West Nusa Tenggara. It serves all districts and municipalities/towns in these provinces.
Bali province: Denpasar town and Badung, Tabanan, Jembrana, Buleleng, Karangasem, Klungkung, Bangli and Gianyar districts.
West Nusa Tenggara province: Mataram and Bima towns and West Lombok, North Lombok, Central Lombok, East Lombok, Sumbawa, West Sumbawa, Dompu and Bima districts.
As of 2010, a total of 8,443,551 people lived in the territory. The origins of the Balinese came from three periods: The first waves of immigrants came from Java and Kalimantan in the prehistoric times of the proto-Malay stock; the second wave of Balinese came slowly over the years from Java during the Hindu period; the third and final period came from Java, between the 15th and 16th centuries, at the time of the conversion of Islam in Java, aristocrats fled to Bali from the Javanese Majapahit Empire to escape Islamic conversion, reshaping the Balinese culture into a syncretic form of classical Javanese culture with many Balinese elements.
The Catholic mission in the diocese officially began when a Divine Word missioner, Father Pater Johannes Kersten, arrived in Denpasar, Bali, on Sept. 12, 1935. He was assigned by prefect apostolic of Lesser Sunda Islands Monsignor Leven, SVD. At that time, Bali was part of this prefecture, which also comprised of East Nusa Tenggara and West Nusa Tenggara provinces.
The Dutch priest sailed to Flores Island together with his fellow Father Van Heyden, SVD. They arrived in Lombok, West Nusa Tenggara, in May 1935. After staying a few months here with Father Heyden, Father Kersten went to Bali and arrived in Denpasar on that respective September day in 1935. This date (Sept. 12) was then determined as the beginning of the mission of Catholic Church in the diocese.
The presence of Father Kersten started to bear fruits. Two native young men - I Wayan Diboleg and I Made Bronong - from Tuka hamlet, about 15 kilometers from Denpasar, became Catholics in May 1936. Before joining Catholic Church, they were already baptized in Protestant church. When their pastor left them, they met Father Kersten at a small chapel in Denpasar in November 1935. These young men were the first native Catholics.
In 1950, Bali and Lombok were elevated to a prefecture. Its prefect apostolic was Monsignor Hubertus Hermens, SVD. When the hierarchy of Indonesia was established on Jan. 3, 1961, prefecture Bali-Lombok was then elevated to the diocese of Denpasar. Its first bishop was Monsignor Paulus Sani Kleden, SVD. His episcopal ordination was on Oct. 3, 1961.
Up to 1990, the diocese's area only covered Bali and Lombok Islands. On Nov. 24, 1990, however, Sumbawa Island, which was served by Weetebula diocese, was entrusted to Denpasar diocese.
The land, sea and air transportations are available in the diocese. Villages can be accessed from the main asphalted roads. Almost every island has harbor connecting one to another.
The main industries in the diocese are tourism, garments and handicrafts. However, agriculture is still the main sector because this is the main livelihood of most people. They plant rice as well as pea, coffee, cocoa and clove.
The telecommunication in the diocese is good. Almost all parts in the diocese can be reached by phone, the Internet, television and radio.
The diocese has a high rate of literacy. Almost all people can read and write.
Bali and West Nusa Tenggara provinces are rich in cultures. Both have traditional musical instruments such as gamelan (a set of instruments as a distinct entity, built and tuned to stay together) and gendang beleq (big drum) and traditional songs and dances.
On every first Friday of the month thousands of Catholics flock to Holy Cross Church of Cherpunkal in Kerala, India to revere Infant Jesus and St. Thomas, the founder of the church. The church stands on the southern bank of Meenachil River. This fabled church, also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross)Church, belongs to Catholic Diocese of Palai of the Eastern-rite Syro-Malabar Church.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.