Bandung diocese covers 19,255.75 square kilometers and includes the districts of Bandung, Garut, Indramayu, Karawang, Kuningan, Majalengka, Purwakarta, Subang, Sumedang, Tasikmalaya, Ciamis, Cirebon and the municipalities of Bandung, Cirebon, Cimahi, Tasikmalaya, and Banjar, all in West Java province.
The Church of Bandung started in Cirebon in 1878, but the mission station had a permanent priest only in 1907. In 1908, the Ursuline Sisters started a school in Jl. Merdeka, just downtown of Bandung, in the same place they opened Ursuline novitiate. In 1921, Charles Borromeo Sisters opened a hospital in Bandung and in 1928 the Jesuits handed four mission stations to the Crosier Fathers.
Bandung became an Apostolic Prefecture on April 20, 1932. During that year, the total number of Catholics was 11,465, of whom 10,965 were foreigners. Bandung became an apostolic vicariate on Oct. 16, 1941, with 19,747 Catholics of whom only 1,416 were Indonesians.
Crosier Father J. H. Goumans was appointed apostolic vicar of Bandung in 1942. In 1952, Crosier Father Petrus Marinus Arntz replaced him.
In January 1961, Pope John Paul XXIII established the Catholic hierarchy in Indonesia. Bandung was declared a diocese on Jan. 3, 1961, and Father Arntz its bishop. In that year, Bandung had 14,459 Catholics of whom 9,830 were Indonesians. The number of Indonesian Catholics increased following the mass conversion of the followers of the local mysticism called Agama Djawa Sunda (ADS, Sunda-Java religion) -- the religion of the villagers of Cigugur, Kuningan, West Java province -- to Catholicism in 1964. In 1965, the number of Catholics was 19,878, with 339 of them foreigners.
Bishop Arntz died on April 25, 1984, and Bishop Alexander Soetandio Djajasiswaja replaced him. Bishop Djajasiswaja died on Jan. 19, 2006. Since then the diocese has been headed by Crosier Father Markus Priyo Kushardjono as administrator.
Pope Benedict XVI appointed Father Johannes Maria Trilaksyanta Pujasumarta bishop of Bandung, on May 17, 2008. His Episcopal ordination was on July 16 the same year.
On every first Friday of the month thousands of Catholics flock to Holy Cross Church of Cherpunkal in Kerala, India to revere Infant Jesus and St. Thomas, the founder of the church. The church stands on the southern bank of Meenachil River. This fabled church, also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross)Church, belongs to Catholic Diocese of Palai of the Eastern-rite Syro-Malabar Church.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.