Punalur diocese is located in the southern Kerala. It is one of the oldest Catholic centers.
The diocese is bound in the north by alappuzha diocese, Northeast by the Pathanamthitta district, in the east by Thirunelveli district of Tamil Nadu, in the south by Thiruvananthapuram district and in the west by Kollam diocese.
In a land area of 5072 square kilometers, the diocesan territory covers the entire civil district of Pathanamthitta and a few sub divisions.
The diocese is dominated by Dalit (former untouchables) Christians.
Malayalam, English and Tamil are in use in the diocesan territory.
Belgian Carmelite Fathers were the first to preach Gospel here. During the Second World War, the Fathers went back, entrusting the mission to the diocesan clergy.
Punalur was separated from the diocese of Quilon by Pope John Paul II, on Dec. 21, 1985.
Punalur diocese is one of the suffragan dioceses under Trivandrum archdiocese.
The diocese enjoys all four types of climate. The winter season sets in during December and continues till February-end. Winter is followed by the summer season. Its starts in February and continues till May. During summer season many parts of the diocese face drought. Summer is followed by pre-monsoon rains. The southwest monsoon begins either in the end of May or in the beginning of June and fades out by September.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.