The archdiocese of Patna is spread over 37,119 square kilometres and comprises civil districts of Patna, Nalanda, Nawada, Gaya, Aurangabad, Rohtas, Jehanabad, Bhojpur, Bhabhua, Buxar, Sheikhpura, and part of Munger and Jamui of Bihar state.
In 2016, the total population of the archdiocese was 34,991,000. There is virtually no tribal population in the territory except for some Santhals. But Mushahars, a semi tribal fraternity, are in large numbers. The majority of the population comprises non-tribal Hindus, Muslims, Catholics, Buddhists, Sikhs and Jains. The uniqueness of the archdiocese is that it contains the holiest shrines of Buddhists and Jains. Bodh Gaya is the place where Lord Buddha had attained enlightenment some 2,600 years ago. Rajgir is another Buddhist pilgrimage. Pawapuri is the place where Lord Mahavira, the founder of Jainism, attained enlightenment. Even Rajgir is a Jain center of pilgrimage. Patna Saheb in Patna is the place where one of the founders of Sikhism, Guru Govind Singh, was born. Gaya is one of the holiest Hindu place where Hindus come to offer prayers for the liberation of the souls of their ancestors.
Bhojpuri, Magahi and Hindi are the major languages in use in the archdiocesan territory. But even English, Urdu and Santhali languages are also used.
The seed of Patna archdiocese was initially sown in 1703 when the Congregation for the Propagation of Faith erected the prefecture of Tibet Hindustan and entrusted it to the Capuchin fathers of the Italian province of Pinenum in the Marches of Ancoa. The first group of missionaries reached Lhasa (Tibet) in 1707 and began a mission station there. For nearly 41 years, the Capuchin missionaries worked in Lhasa until a religious persecution forced them to give up their mission and move to Kathmandu (Nepal) in 1745.
The Capuchin missionaries had varying success in Kathmandu since 1715. A new conqueror of the Kathmandu valley, Raja Pritvi Narayan Shah, who was not sympathetic to the missionaries, stopped all support to them. The Nepal mission was also abandoned in 1769, and the missionaries with 62 Nepalese Christians and five catechumens moved to India. They settled down at Chuhari near Bettiah. The scene of the Capuchin mission shifted now to the Indian soil.
Father Joseph Mary, OFM Cap., founded the Bettiah mission in 1745, after the King of Bettiah, Raja Druva Singh, had obtained permission for the same from Pope Benedict XIV.
Rome elevated the prefecture of Tibet-Hindustan to a vicariate in 1812. In 1827, an independent Patna vicariate was created, comprising Bettiah, Chuhari, Patna City, Danapur, Bhagalpur, Darjeeling, Sikkim, Nepal and adjacent territories. Father Anastasius Hartmann, OFM Cap., was appointed its first apostolic vicar.
Patna vicariate became a part of Allahabad diocese in 1886. The North Bihar mission with its four stations of Bettiah, Chuhari, Chakhani and Latonah was entrusted to the Tyrolese Capuchins in 1886. In May 1892, the North Bihar mission was made Bettiah-Nepal prefecture with Father Hilanon of Abtei, OFM Cap. as its first prefect. In 1919, this prefecture was dissolved and grouped to South Bihar to form the present archdiocese of Patna.
On Sept. 10, 1919, Pope Benedict XV divided the diocese of Allahabad into two. The diocese of Patna was thus created. The prefecture of Bettiah-Nepal was annexed to the new diocese. The Holy See entrusted Patna diocese to American Missouri province of the Society of Jesus. Later, on Nov. 13, 1930, after the division of Missouri province, Patna diocese was entrusted to the Chicago province of the Society of Jesus. Louis Van Hoeck, S.J., was ordained the first bishop of Patna on March 1921.
On March 28, 1980, Pope John Paul II accepted the resignation of Bishop Augustine Wildermuth, S.J., and divided the Patna diocese into two units, Patna and Muzaffarpur. Father Benedict John Osta, S.J., was appointed bishop of Patna, and Father John Baptist Thakur, S.J., as bishop of Muzaffarpur. The Patna diocese was subsequently declared archdiocese in 1999 and Bishop Osta, S.J., became its first archbishop.
The per capita income in the archdiocesan territory is Rs 4,097 ($90). The region is extremely drought-prone affecting agriculture to a great extent. Paddy, maize, and vegetables are the major agricultural produces. Sugarcane is also produced. Fishery around the Ganges River is an important economic activity of the region. Except for a few, industries are virtually absent in the region. Most working adults are migrant laborers. Most of the areas of the archdiocese suffer from outlawed Maoist violence.
The archdiocese is located in the northern part of Bihar state having its headquarters in Muzaffarpur which is also the headquarters of the civil district of Muzaffarpur. The archdiocese shares a 100-kilometer-long border with Nepal in the north. It borders the diocese of Purnea in the east, the diocese of Bettiah in the west and the Ganges River in the south.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.