Kuzhithurai is a city in Kanniyakumari district in the Tamil Nadu state. It is the administrative headquarters of Vilavancode taluk. It has a historical seaport which is mentioned in the ancient Indian maps.
On Dec. 22, 2014, Pope Francis erected the diocese of Kuzhithurai out of territory from the neighboring diocese of Kottar and named Father Jerome Dhas Varuvel, S.D.B., as its first bishop. It has 264,222 Catholics and is a suffragan of the archdiocese of Madurai.
According to 2016 census, Kuzhithurai had a population of 825,359 with a sex-ratio of 1,022 females for every 1,000 males, much above the national average of 929. Scheduled castes and scheduled tribes account for 1.45 percent and .02 percent of the population, respectively.
People speak both Tamil and Malayalam languages.
The diocesan area is well connected by roads and railway. Kuzhithurai railway station is busy place leading to Trivandrum. Trivandrum International Airport is the nearest airport which is 34 km from the city.
Kuzhithurai municipality spreads over an area of 5 km². The Thamiraparani River flows through Kuzhithurai.
The cultural landscape in the diocese is a mixture of Tamil and Malayalam traditions. Hinduism and Christianity are the major religions in the town.
The average literacy of the town is 85.99 percent compared with the national average of 72.99 percent.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
Our Lady of Akita Catholic Church is Yuzawadai is among the most famous churches in Japan. The church shot into global fame thanks to a wooden statue of Blessed Virgin Mary that wept 101 times and Marian apparitions to Japanese nun Sister Agnes Katsuko Sasagawa that miraculously healed her hearing impairment. Japanese wooden sculptor Saburo Wakasa from Akita city carved the now-famous miraculous statue of Virgin Mary in 1963.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.