The diocese covers 7,823 square kilometers, including 18 civil administration units called taluks in five civil districts. Kumbakonam is the largest town in the diocese. Srigangam and Perambular are other important towns in the diocese.
In 2016, the total population was 5,366,256 in the diocese. Tamils form the major ethnic group.
The diocese of Kumbakonam was carved out of the archdiocese of Pondicherry and was erected on Sept. 1, 1899, by the apostolic letter of Pope Leo XIII. The first two bishops were from Paris Foreign Missions Society (MEP): Monsignor Hugo M. Bottero led the diocese from 1899 to 1913 and Monsignor Marie Augustine Chapuis headed the diocese from 1913 to 1930.
After a year of able guidance by Monsignor M. A. Xavier as its apostolic administrator, Monsignor Peter Francis became the first indigenous bishop in 1931 and was followed by Monsignor D. Paul Arulsamy in 1955. In his tenure of 33 years (1955-1988), the diocese witnessed the liturgical and theological renewal of the Second Vatican Council. After his resignation in 1988, Monsignor Antony David led the diocese. The fifth bishop, Monsignor Peter Remigius, was ordained bishop on Jan. 3, 1990.
The towns are managed by municipalities. The villages and small towns are administered by elected local bodies called panchayats.
The diocesan area is well connected in terms of transport infrastructure by roads and railway. The nearest airport is in Trichy city.
The diocese covers 7,823 square kilometers, including 18 civil administration units called taluks cutting across five civil districts. Kumbakonam is the largest town in the diocese. Srigangam and Perambular are other important towns in the diocese.
Per capita income in the diocesan territory is Rs 17,339 ($375) as of September 2006. Farming, especially paddy cultivation, is the most common occupation. The diocese is part of an area called the "rice bowl of Tamil Nadu." Kumbakonam is also famous for its betel nuts.
Government and private operators provide extensive telecommunication facilities in the diocesan area. The diocese is well connected by local cable TV networks.
The diocese has a literacy rate of 66.07 per cent.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.