The diocesan territory covers a land area of 19,073 square kilometers. It comprises the districts of Indore, Khargone, Khandwa, Dhar, Jhabua (except tahsil of Thandla), Ratlam, Dewas, Ujjain, Shajapur, Rajgah, Bhilsa (Vidisha) Hoshangabad and the whole of Bhopal.
The population of diocesan territory is 4,496,287 as on 2016 and Catholic population is 19,991.
Ethnic groups in the territory include Maharahstrians, Gujarathis, Malayalees, Marwaris, Tamils and Telugus. Most of the people speak Hindi, Malwi, Bhili and Bhilali but there are a considerable number of people who speak English, Marathi and Gujarathi.
On March 3, 1931, the mission territory of Indore was formed by extracting some territories from the diocese of Ajmer, Allahabad and Nagpur and was officially assigned to the Society of the Divine Word. The territory then covered 110,000 square kilometers.
On March 11, 1935, the Indore mission was elevated to a prefecture apostolic and Msgr. Peter Janser was appointed the first prefect apostolic. Under his leadership, the mission made considerable progress. The diocese of Indore was erected on May 15, 1952. Msgr. Francis Simons, SVD, was appointed as its first bishop. During his tenure, he established many new stations. With his foresight he purchased land in many places.
The districts of Ujjain, Shajapur and Raigarh were separated from the diocese of Indore and the exarchate (later diocese) of Ujjain was established in 1968.
The two civil districts of Khandwa and Khargone were separated from Indore diocese and the diocese of Khandwa was erected on Feb. 3, 1977.
On March 11, 1981, the district of Mandsaur was transferred from the jurisdiction of the diocese of Ajmer to that of the diocese of Indore.
On March 1, 2002, the diocese of Jhabua was erected separating the districts of Jhabua, Ratlam, Mandsaur, Neemuch and the Tahshil of Sardarpur from the diocese of Indore. At present, the diocese of Indore has three civil districts of Indore, Dewas and Dhar except the Tahshil of Sardarpur.
The territory has petrochemical, automobile, dairy, garment manufacturing, agriculture, hotel and information technology industries. Indore is the commercial capital of Madhya Pradesh.
The literacy rate is 83 percent.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.