In a land area of 17, 551 square kilometers, the diocesan territory covers civil districts of Kamrup, Goalpara, Nalbari, Nagaon, Morigaon and Baksa in the state of Assam.
Guwahati is the biggest city in the diocese. Dispur and Nagaon are other important towns in the territory.
7,619,000 is the total population in the diocesan territory at the end of 2016. (The population of the whole country is about 20 million).The Assamese are the majority community in the archdiocese, however, it is also home to many tribal groups like Garo, Rabha, Bodo, Karbi, Tiwa, Santal and Adivasis.
Assamese, Bodo, Rabha, Garo, Karbi, Tiwa, Hindi, Santali, Sadri, Oraon, and English are the languages used in the archdiocesan territory.
Guwahati, the ‘gateway' to North East India, is the first place to be associated with Christianity in the region. Two Portuguese Jesuit Missionaries, Cabral and Cacella — the first Christian Missionaries to set foot in Assam — reached Hajo and Guwahati on Sept. 26, 1626. They were on their way to Tibet from Hooghly.
In June 1850, Father Robin, Father Krick and Father Bernardi of the Institute of the Foreign Missions of Paris reached Guwahati. Father Robin tried to learn Assamese and to establish a centre at Bongnia. Father Krick proceeded to Nagaon and from there to Dibrugarh with the intention of going to Tibet. In 1854, Father Krick and Father Bourry were killed in the Mishmi Hills while trying to enter Tibet.
Father Jacopo Broy of the Institute of the Foreign Missions of Milan took up residence in Guwahati and built a brick church here in 1883. From this central place he looked after the entire ‘Assam Missions'. Soon we find him in Nagaon where he later built a small church.
In 1889, the prefecture apostolic of Assam was created with headquarters at Shillong and was entrusted to the German Salvatorian Fathers. In February 1890 the German Salvatorian Missionaries Fathers Gallus Schrole and Rudolph Fontaine reached Guwahati. They were the two great missionaries of the Assam Valley. By this time many tribal Catholics from Chota Nagpur had come to work in the tea gardens of Assam.
With the outbreak of World War I, the German Salvatorian Fathers were forced to return to their country. The Jesuits of Calcutta looked after the Assam mission till the Holy See entrusted it to the Salesians of Don Bosco in 1921.
In 1922, the Salesians of Don Bosco arrived in Northeast India under the leadership of Father Louis Mathias.
The city is managed by Corporation. The villages and small towns are administered by elected local bodies called panchayats and municipalities respectively.
The diocesan territory is well-connected in terms of transport infrastructure by roads and railway. The nearest airport is in Guwahati city.
Nearly Rs 22,081 ($479) is the per capita income in the diocese as of October 2009. Farming and tea cultivation are major revenue earners.
Tea grown in these areas is world renowned. Agriculture is a major source of income in the diocesan territory. Rice, ginger, coconut, tapioca and rubber are grown here.
Government and private operators provide extensive telecommunication facilities in the diocesan area. The diocese is well-connected by local cable TV networks.
Nearly 63.94 percent is the literacy rate in the archdiocese.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.