In a land area of 15222 square kilometers, the diocesan territory covers civil districts of Karbi Anglong and North Cachar Hills in Assam. Diphu is the biggest city in the diocese. Haflong is the other important town.
In the diocesan area, the population is 1,242,000 in 2016. Karbi, Bodo, Kuki, Dimasa, Hmars, Garo, Rengma Naga, Tiwa, Man, Zeme, Naga, Biates, Hrangkhols, Kehlmas, Adibasi, Pnar, Khasi, Nepali and Bihari are the various ethnic groups in the diocese.
The various languages spoken in the diocesan area are Karbi, Hindi, Assamese, Sadiri, Garo, Tiwa, Bodo, Pnar, Kasi, Kuki, Dimasa and Nepali.
The diocese of Diphu was erected on Dec. 5, 1983, detaching the district of Karbi Anglong from the archdiocese of Shillong-Guwahati and the district of North Cachar Hills from the diocese of Silchar. Father Mathai Kochuparampil SDB was appointed the first bishop of this new diocese. He was installed at Diphu on March 4, 1984. He passed away on March 4, 1992. Father Albano D'Mello was elected diocesan administrator on March 11, 1992. On June 24, 1994, Father John Thomas Kattrukudiyil was appointed the second bishop of the diocese. He was consecrated on Sept. 8, 1994. He was transferred to the newly formed diocese of Itanagar in December 2005. However, he was appointed as the apostolic administrator of the diocese of Diphu as well. On Feb. 14, 2007, Father John Moolachira was appointed as the third bishop of Diphu diocese. He was consecrated on April 15, 2007. Bishop John Moolachira Appointed as Coadjutor Archbishop of Guwahati on April 9, 2011 and Bishop Paul Mattekatt took the office on Jul. 26, 2013.
The oldest missionary presence in the diocese is that of RNDM sisters (Congregation of the Our Lady of the Missions) at Haflong. The first group of sisters settled down in Haflong in 1911. They started a small boarding school, which later was opened to the children of the British engineers and tea garden managers. But due to malaria and other fatal diseases prevalent in the region, the infant school was closed down.
Currently, the diocese has 19 parishes and 23 subcentres. The missionary team of the diocese is made up of the diocesan priests, the Salesians, the MSFS, the Jesuits, Dominicans, OCDs, the Franciscan Brothers, Religious women belonging to 18 different congregations.
Cities are managed by corporations. The villages and small towns are administered by elected local bodies called panchayats and municipalities.
The diocesan area is well connected in terms of transport infrastructure by roads and railway. The nearest airport is in Guwahati.
The per capita income in the diocese's territory is Rs 14,523 ($312) as of November 2009. Rice and Maize are also grown in the area. Major industries include cement production, tea, handloom and textiles, livestock and poultry.
Government and private operators provide extensive telecommunication facilities in the diocesan area. The diocese is well connected by local cable TV networks.
Nearly 62.71 percent is the literacy rate in the diocesan territory.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.