In a land area of 46,021 square kilometers, the diocesan territory covers three sub-divisions of Darjeeling district of West Bengal: Darjeeling, Kurseong and Kalimpong, besides the state of Sikkim and Bhutan.
The diocese is located in the sub-Himalayan mountainous region. The area is the foothill of the Himalayas. Sikkim is the highest Indian region.
The population is 1,470,000 at the end of 2016.
The languages spoken in the diocesan territory are Hindi, Nepali, Bengali, Bhutanese (Dzongksha), Lepcha, Sikkimese, Tibetan, and English.
The Church first came to Darjeeling with the arrival of the Irish Loreto Sisters in 1846 soon after opening the hill station of Darjeeling. The area was then under Patna diocese and was staffed mostly by Italian Capuchins. In 1886, with the establishment of Calcutta archdiocese, the areas of Darjeeling, Kurseong and Siliguri and the state of Sikkim were transferred to Calcutta archdiocese and were cared by the Belgian Jesuits. St. Mary's Theologate at Kurseong, which started in 1889, contributed significantly to the expansion. In 1947, the Jesuits of Upper Canada province came to assist the Belgian fathers. Gradually, they took over and in 1956 it became an independent Jesuit region. On Oct. 14, 1997, the region became a full-fledged Darjeeling Jesuit province. The work in Kalimpong started in 1883, when the fathers of the Foreign Mission of Paris settled down in Pedong with the hope of getting into Tibet. Father A. Desgodins, the founder of Pedong, was a pioneer missionary and a scholar.
In 1929 this area was separated from Tibet and erected as an independent mission within the ecclesial province of Calcutta. In 1931 Sikkim was added to it and the prefecture apostolic of Kalimpong-Sikkim came into existence, with Msgr Jules Douenels as its first prefect apostolic. In 1935 the French fathers handed over the area to the Canons Regular of St. Augustine of St. Maurice, Switzerland, and in 1937 Msgr. A. Gainer was appointed its new prefect apostolic. After 25 years, he handed the territory over to Bishop Eric Benjamin, who became the first bishop of the newly erected Darjeeling diocese. Darjeeling diocese was erected on Nov. 25, 1962.
The kingdom of Bhutan was separated from the diocese of Tezpur and included in Darjeeling diocese on Jan. 21, 1975.
The main industries are tea, tourism, fruits and vegetables.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
St. Joseph’s Church in Lahore is the oldest Catholic Church in Pakistan that has flourished since the 19th century despite deadly sectarian violence in recent years. The church at Sarfaraz Rafiqui Road in Lahore was established as a wooden structure during the British colonial era, on Oct. 31, 1842, to provide pastoral care to the British soldiers. It completed 180 years this year.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.